𝔚𝔢𝔩𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔚𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔢𝔯𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡 [𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱 6]

☆.。.:* 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒯𝓇𝓊𝓉𝒽 𝑜𝒻 𝐻𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝑜𝓅𝓅𝓈 *:.。.☆

Horunvendush Day. Y/N didn't remember much of it. The doctor had given her so much... whatever it was, that she wasn't able to think straight for most of the time Alex was dragging her through the burned village. But did she really want to know? She wasn't sure that she did. She could vaguely remember smelling burning everywhere and a burst of purple light, but beyond that, there was hardly anything but a mess of blobs and fuzzy bunches.

Now, Alex was pulling her through the present, up the hill to Hatter's hat-shaped house. And Y/N was trying not to stumble on every little rock that happened to pop up in her path. She was failing, but she kept stumbling along behind Alex. She knew that they most likely had only a few minutes to save Hatter. They had taken too long in London. Y/N shuddered at the thought of London. And of the doctor who had injected her with something that knocked her out.

Alex and Y/N burst into the Hatter's house, the former shouting for Hatter.

"Your family, they're alive!"

No one answered. Alex looked around, wondering where everyone was. And then he saw the tweedles and Thackery up on the second floor of Hatter's house and rushed up the stairs. When he got to the second floor, Alex felt his heart go heavy. Hatter was there, lying in his bed, a mere shell of the Tarrant Hightopp that he had been before. His skin was sickly pale, all colour had gone from around his eyes and cheeks, and even his hair had turned white, save for a few strands of unruly fire. Were they too late?

McTwisp sighed and turned to Alex and Y/N. "He's barely ticking."

Miran had streaks of tears running down his cheeks. "We fear you are too late."

Alex dropped Y/N's hand and rushed to Hatter's side. "Hatter."

More of Hatter's hair turned white.

"He's fading away," Mallymkun whispered, sounding like a frightened little mouse. Alex glanced over to see the mouse's lower lip trembling. "I can't bear to see him like this." She hopped onto Bayard's head and hid her nose in his fur.

"Come, Mally," Bayard said gently. "Say your goodbyes, Alex. Y/N."

Y/N didn't respond. Miran took note of this and frowned, gliding over to the girl. He gently took her hands, which had returned to their usual star pattern, and held them, running his thumbs over the back. "Y/N?" Y/N still didn't say anything. Miran stared into her eyes and felt his heart drop even more. There was no warmth in her eyes. Not a trace of the warmth that he had grown used to seeing for the past year. It was simply, gone.

Miran turned to Alex to ask what had happened but stopped when he saw that Alex was focused on Hatter. He would have to ask the boy later. In the meantime, he gently wrapped an arm around Y/N and led her down the stairs to Hatter's sitting room. There, he set her down on a chair and went to make her some tea. Hopefully, that would be able to bring back the Y/N that had become his friend.

"Y/N," Mallymkun asked, hopping up onto the girl's hand. "What's wrong?" She scampered up the girl's sleeve so she was sitting on her shoulder. When the girl still didn't answer, Mally set her tiny paw on the girl's cheek. Her stars were cold.

"Your Majesty," Mally called.

Miran poked his head around the corner.

"What's wrong with her?"

Miran sighed. "I... I don't know, Mally."

Once Miran had made the tea, he took a seat beside Y/N and helped her drink it. At first, she refused, shaking her head slowly and resisting Miran's attempts to help her. But after a while, she gave up refusing and allowed the king to tip the tea back into her throat. It worked almost instantly.