When your childhood friend is in love with you | Jake

"Jake is coming as well?" You ask your mother while she washes the dishes and she nods, making you smile.

"He said he will if you're here." The way she says it makes you almost laugh. Jake has always hated friend reunions, but it seems he suddenly is a big fan of it if you're present.

You've been out of town for a while because of university, but now that it's summer vacation, you're back for one or two months.

"I actually miss him. It's been a while." You admit. You had a crush on Jake when you were young, but because you had gone out of town, you slowly forgot about it the more time you spent along with the new people you met there.

But deep down, he's always been there. You spent half of your life being his best friend, it's hard to just forget about him and the little crush that came back the moment you arrived in town.

"He misses you too. His grandmother said he still has the bracelet you gave him."

You gasp. "Wait, really?" The bracelet was one you made him two years ago. He promised he would never take it off but you thought that at some point he'll take it off and forget about it.

You also believed that by the time you came back, he would already have a girlfriend. It seems you were wrong.

"You haven't moved on, have you?" Your mother's voice brings you back to reality and you blink at her, surprised. "I can tell you didn't."

You can't really hide anything from your mother, but you're afraid she'd be too excited and end up telling Jake's grandmother about it. His parents passed away when he was a child and ended up living with his grandmother, so the two of them are the closest.

"I don't think I have, but I don't want to ruin our friendship. So don't say a word."

"Don't try to silence your feelings, sweetheart."

You end up in silence while you prepare food for the event. Her words replay in the back of your mind but you tell yourself it's better if you don't talk about it.

Time passes and you're standing in front of the mirror, the short sage green satin dress hugging your figure. You don't feel that comfortable in it because of how much skin is exposed, but you're willing to try something different.

You've grown up. You're not the same little girl that used to play with Jake anymore. And neither is he the same boy.

His features are more defined now, his shoulders broader and jawline sharper. In other words, he's hotter and more attractive and he's just your type. Someone who looks like he'd break your heart but has a heart of gold.

The event takes place in your backyard and you set everything in place before your friends and family arrive.

"Y/N?" A foreign yet familiar voice calls and when you turn around, it's Jay. You widen your eyes when he approaches you with a big smile on his face. "It's you."

Jay was Jake's friend, and you got to know him through Jake. He spent most of the time in Seattle with his family and spent the summer vacation in town with you. He used to bring gifts and the three of you used to spend the night in empty playgrounds with you sitting on the swing and the boys protecting you like you're their princess.

It's a nice memory that makes your heart warm. You wrap your arms around his neck and he holds your waist, making you hold your breath. His hands are big and strong, making you feel small in comparison. But it's a comforting feeling, like you're being protected by someone you trust.

"I missed you." You mutter, his grip tightening gently around your waist.

His eyes crinkle in the corner when he smiles at you. "I missed you too. It's been a long while."