When you get confessed to at your crush's wedding | Heeseung

You stare at the wedding invitation on the desk, your arms wrapped around you in an attempt to ward off the sudden chill that grips your heart. With hesitant fingers, you trace the name engraved on the invitation.

The name belongs to your first love, the love you could never quite let go of. He was the one whose presence made your heart flutter and your world feel complete.

It's been over a decade since you started liking him, and three years ago since you confessed your feelings.

"I'm sorry, Y/N," You remember him say, making your heart ache."You're an amazing person, but my heart belongs to someone else." Those words shattered the fragile hopes and dreams you had carefully crafted for years, leaving you adrift in a sea of unrequited love.

The pain was raw, the rejection making you feel as if you were not enough, as if you were somehow lacking the qualities that would have made him choose you. But it can't compare to the pain you're feeling now. The pain of realizing that now, he can never be yours.

As much as you hate yourself for it, you hoped that perhaps the two of them would break up and he'd come running back to you. You allowed yourself to entertain the fragile fantasy of a second chance, even though deep down, you knew that clinging to that hope was only self-destructive.

Your phone rings, snapping you out of your trance before you answer. "Hi."

"Y/N?" Heeseung's voice from the other side of the line is filled with concern. "Are you okay? You sound... down."

"I don't know." You admit, resting your head in your hands. "I feel like I can never let Jay go. It feels as though a knife is twisting in your chest."

"You got the invitation..." His voice trails off in realization. "You don't have to go if you don't want to. It's completely understandable if it's too painful for you."

"I know," Tears well up in your eyes at his words. "A part of me wants to crumple the card, to shut out the painful reality that he's getting married to someone else. Yet another part wants me to go and be happy for him. I don't know what to do anymore."

Heeseung's voice is gentle as he responds, "It's okay, Y/N, there's no easy answer for this. But whatever decision you make, know that I'll be there for you. If you want to go, I'll drive you there and stay by your side, and if you decide that it's better that you don't go, I can stay with you and we can have our little gathering and do something that would make you happy."

The sincerity in his voice touches your wounded heart and you realize that no matter what happens, he'll be there for you.

"I think I want to go with you." You say hesitantly before you hear Heeseung sigh in relief. "Thank you, Heeseung. You really know how to make me feel better."

"Trust me, Y/N, that's an honor."

A whole week passes by in a blur and there you are, waiting for Heeseung to arrive in your sage green, off-shouldered dress. And when Heeseung arrives and gets out of the car, his eyes widen.

"You're gorgeous." He mutters, the smile never leaving his lips.

Blushing at the compliment, you thank him before he opens the door for you. His genuine admiration warms your heart and erases your pain even if it's momentarily. "Do you think this is my revenge dress?"

Heeseung laughs. "Well, if it is, you're certainly getting your revenge. You look absolutely stunning in that dress." His laughter fades as the two of you look at each other for a moment.

"That means a lot, Heeseung." You smile and he nods, looking back at the road before he starts driving. And soon, you're in front of the hotel where Jay is holding his wedding.

You make your way out of the car when Heeseung opens the door for you and holds his hand when he extends it for you to take. "Are you nervous?"

"Yes. A lot." You admit. "I don't know what to expect when I see him."

"It's okay to feel that way, Y/N, emotions can be overwhelming." He squeezes your hand in an attempt to reassure you. "You're strong, you'll be just fine."

You nod and smile a little as the two of you make your way inside. The place is crowded with people and you try to find Jay among them until your eyes land on him. Heeseung feels you tense and he nudges your shoulder.

"Hm?" You look at him in confusion and he points at Jay.

"This is your chance." His words make you take a deep breath before you nod and walk toward Jay. He's dressed in a black tuxedo, looking as handsome as ever. The memories flood back, the laughter, the tender moments, and the bittersweet echo of a love that never even started.

When he turns around, his eyes widen in surprise and he smiles wider. "Y/N... you're here."

"Hi, Jay," Gathering your courage, you greet him with a soft smile. "It's nice to see you again. Congratulations."

His gaze softens, and he nods appreciatively. "Thank you, Y/N. I'm glad you could come. Are you here alone?"

"No, I'm with Heeseung," You point at Heeseung who's looking at the two of you before he walks your way.

"Hey, man," He greets Jay, extending his hand for him to take. "Congratulations on your wedding. I wish you happiness and joy."

Jay's eyes almost betray a hint of sadness but he quickly composes himself and accepts Heeseung's handshake. "Thank you, I appreciate it. I didn't think the two of you would come together, though."

Heeseung smiles and reaches for your hand before intertwining your fingers, making your heart skip a beat. "I wouldn't let her come alone. She's too beautiful to be left without a partner, right?"

Jay laughs awkwardly, putting his hand on the back of his neck. "Yeah, she is."

"You know, we've been having so much fun lately. I just love when I'm with her, and I love it more when she cries while watching the notebook or when she starts singing and ends up sounding completely off-key," He smiles and gazes at you with so much love that it makes you blush.

"She's a beautiful mess, and I wouldn't trade those moments for anything."

Jay's laughter fades and he gazes at you and Heeseung with a bittersweet expression. There is regret in his eyes as he realizes what could have been. "You're very lucky, Y/N, to have found someone who appreciates your quirks and loves you wholeheartedly. Cherish that."

His words sink in and you hesitantly nod before he excuses himself and walks away. And now, you're left with Heeseung and you can't even look him in the eyes.

"That was my confession," He says and your heart starts racing when he squeezes your hand gently. "As raw as it may be, I needed to tell you how I truly feel."

And all of a sudden, your tragic love is turning into a beautiful chapter filled with possibilities.