When he likes your best friend | Sunghoon

His hands are on you. His eyes are on her.

That's how it always was, you just failed to see it when you were blinded with love. Now it's too obvious it hurts.

Sunghoon's smile is always the brightest when she's in the room, his gaze fixated on her like she's the only star in his night sky. You watch from a distance, your heart sinking with each stolen glance, each tender touch.

It feels like a dagger piercing through your chest, constantly reminding you of the love that's slipping away.

You remember when it was different when his hands were gentle and his eyes held only warmth for you. But somewhere along the lines, Haneul appeared in his life, taking the spotlight from you without realizing it.

You refuse to let your heart shatter completely. You deserve better than to be a silent spectator in your own love story. So, you make your way back to them.

"Y/N, you're back." Haneul smiles, handing you a glass of iced tea.

The three of you were invited to a friend gathering and you couldn't stop Haneul from coming. You feel guilty enough because you know she has no ill intentions.

When you glance at Sunghoon, he's looking at you with slightly glistening eyes that betray confusion and concern. For a fleeting moment, you see a glimmer of the old Sunghoon, the one whose eyes held nothing but warmth for you.

But it quickly fades, replaced by the reality of the present. "Are you okay?" His hand reaches to tuck a strand of hair behind your ear. Why doesn't it give you butterflies anymore?

"Yes, I'm fine." You reply, though deep down, you know that it's far from the truth.

"You two look very cute." Haneul's voice snaps you out of your trance as you look at her. She has her phone up, taking pictures of the two of you. "Sunghoon looks very handsome tonight. Did you get all dressed up for your beautiful girlfriend?"

You force a smile, though it feels hollow and fragile. Your gaze lingers on Sunghoon for a moment longer, your eyes searching for something you might not find.

"Yes," Sunghoon says, smiling a little at her. How can he lie without flinching?

The camera captures moments frozen in time, freezing smiles that no longer hold the same genuine warmth. Haneul's eyes are filled with an innocence that makes you feel sick.

You hate how you're starting to hate her when she has done nothing wrong. It's not her fault that your love has waned and that the butterflies have ceased to flutter.

Placing blame on her would be misplaced and unjust. But it's the only thing you can do, and it hurts.

The gathering comes to an end and you're in the car with Sunghoon. You glance at him, his gaze fixed on the road ahead. You wonder if he feels it too, if he senses the growing resentment within you.

One of your friends insisted on driving Haneul home and Sunghoon had been so quiet since she left. It's so unfair for him to make you feel this way.

"Haneul is so nice." You mutter, your voice above a whisper, but you see his grip tightening on the steering wheel. "She's... very cool."

"Yeah. She is." The words feel as if someone is sucking their teeth into you, bleeding you dry. Jealousy creeps into your heart as you look out the window, watching the city lights blur past.

You steal another glance at Sunghoon, observing his profile as the passing streetlights cast fleeting shadows across his face. His jaw is clenched, his gaze focused intently on the road ahead and it makes you wonder what thoughts are running through his mind.

"Sunghoon," you say softly, your voice barely audible over the hum of the engine. "Is something bothering you?"

"It's nothing," He replies, his voice strained. "Just tired, I guess."

"Are you sure-"

"I said I'm fine." He raises his voice and you freeze, taken aback by the sudden shift in his tone.

You take a deep breath, trying to steady yourself despite the hurt that lingers. "Stop the car."

You hear him sigh. "Y/N, let's not do this right now-"

"I said stop the car! I don't want to be with you here." You snap out of frustration and hurt, your voice cutting through the air like a sharp blade.

The car slows down, and he pulls over to the side of the road, bringing it to a stop before you hastily unfasten your seatbelt and open the car door.

"Y/N," He gets out of the car, following after you. "I don't know why you're doing this-"

"Oh yeah?" You stop in your tracks, turning to face him. "You don't know why I'm doing this?"

"If you don't tell me, I won't kno-"

"Because you like my best friend!" You blurt out, making his heart drop as his eyes flicker with guilt. "Make it easy for me and just admit it."

"It's not what you think..." He sighs, running his fingers through his hair. "I just..."

"You just what?" You repeat, your voice filled with disbelief and bitterness. "Sunghoon, I've seen how you look at her, how you light up in her presence. It's been tearing me apart, watching my own boyfriend fall for my best friend while I'm being pushed to the sidelines!"

"Y/N-" He reaches out to hold your arm but you take a step back, the pain of betrayal surging through your veins. "I never wanted to hurt you."

"Can't you see how much I fucking love you?" You let out a sob, your voice cracking. Tears stream down your face, your love starting to feel like a twisted mockery of what you once cherished. "Why did you tell me you loved me that day? Why did you make me love you—the broken parts, the messy parts, and everything in between?"

His shoulders slump and your heart drops. "I'm sorry, Y/N. My feelings for Haneul... they came out of nowhere. I never meant to deceive you or lead you on."

You look away, putting your hand over your eyes to hide the vulnerability and pain that now consume you. "You really screwed two years of my life... everything feels like a cruel joke."

Sunghoon takes a step closer, his arms wrapping around you as you let him hold you. Your body trembles with each sob that escapes your lips. "I'm sorry-"

"Stop saying sorry!" You push him away, staring into his eyes, desperately trying to find your old Sunghoon. "I can't bear to hear those words anymore. Sorry won't undo the hurt and the betrayal. Sorry won't fix the broken pieces of my heart!"

And he just stands there, head down low as you let out all the pain that's been building within you. "I don't know what to do, Y/N... I'm confused about everything."

"Okay." You nod, sighing heavily. "Let's take a break until you're not confused anymore. I can't stay with you when my heart is in pieces. We both need time and space to figure things out."

"You... you want to take a break?" His eyes widen, the tears falling down his cheeks, still making your heart ache.

You swallow the lump in your throat, your voice steadying. "Yes. We need it."

He takes a step closer, his hand reaching out as if to touch you, but he stops himself, letting it drop to his side. "I don't want to lose you, Y/N. I love you."

Tears well up in your eyes as you take a deep breath, your heart torn between the love you still hold for him and the need to heal your broken heart. "It's not fair... you can't say that now."

"I'm sorry, Y/N... but I promise I'll come back for you. I'll become the person you deserve."

You look into his eyes, searching for a trace of sincerity amidst the pain. "Please don't break this promise."

With that, you turn around and walk away from him, leaving him standing there while his sobs echo through the empty space between you.