CHAPTER XXXI

ARUSH'S POV

I have been trying to reach her for 2 hours now. She said she would be home by 11:30am and now it is already 2pm. Mom, dad and me have been waiting for her to come home so that we can go for the cake tasting and then lunch. The last she texted was after she reached the hospital and from then on, she hasn't been receiving the call. I want to go and check on her once, but mom asked me not to, as it will attract the media even before the reception and Aadhya wouldn't be comfortable. I know she must be busy with her work, but still she could have atleast informed if she was going to be late.

I huffed seeing mom again trying to call her and said, "Just leave it mom, she isn't going to answer the calls. You don't have to waste your time trying again and again. Please go and have your lunch, it is already late." Mom shook her head at me and said, "Did you see Aadhya complaining when you were working till late night? Then why can't you just be patient Aru? Just keep your anger under control when she returns, please." I sighed at her words and said, "Mom, this isn't about her working late, she should have atleast dropped a message that she is going to be late. Doesn't she understand that we will be worried, when she said she would return by 11:30am."

We hear a car sound outside and Aadhya rushes inside after few minutes and says, "I am so sorry! I left my mobile in the car and when I was about to answer it, the battery died. I'm really sorry Ma. I didn't realize it was going to be this late. I should have atleast informed you when I was going to be late." Mom immediately says, "It's okay Ayu, why are you being sorry for this? Shall we start now? I'm really hungry. Do you want to go and change? We will wait for you." I roll my eyes at their conversation.

Aadhya gulped the water Priya kaki gave her and says, "No, Ma. I am good, let's start now. Papa, shall we leave now?" Dad stands and says, "Just keep us informed dear, it isn't that we want to know every step of your life, we just want to know our daughter is safe. It will give some peace to these old hearts." Aadhya hugged him and said, "Sorry, Papa. It won't repeat again." I stood there watching their drama and said, "Can we go?"

"Why don't you guys take your car, we will come in our car. We need some privacy," Mom said flipping her hair very dramatically. I know she wants me to talk Aadhya. I shook my head and moved out, towards my car after seeing Aadhya is following me silently. I turned on the music so that I don't lose control on my tongue and say things which I don't mean. "Arush!" she called me softly. I didn't respond to her and turned the sound high. "Arush, please listen to me," she asked. I didn't respond to her and kept driving. She turned off the music and said, "Arush, I am talking to you. I have so much to tell you. Why are you not listening to me."

I pressed the brakes and looked at her. "What, why are you looking at me like that? And why did you stop the car, we are already late because of me, just listen and talk to me while you drive," she said worried. I found it funny that she didn't notice that we have reached. I turned off the ignition and got down the car, that is when she noticed that we reached our hotel and followed me silently.

We went to the patio dine-in and sat there and placed the order, and sat waiting for Mom and Dad. I kept scrolling my mobile, while Aadhya kept staring at me from beside me. After 15 minutes, Mom and Dad joined us and we started our lunch. When we were almost done with our lunch, Mom asked, "Ayu, forgot to ask in the hurry, what about the results? Who is going to be the new assistant dean?"

Aadhya looked at me and then at mom and then said, "Ma, Dr Virendra is going to be the assistant dean, starting December 1st." I tried to see if she was sad about the results. "That's ok, dear. You have given your best. Sometimes it is just luck too. Don't worry about it," said Dad. She chuckled at that and said, "Papa, I have been selected as per the results." I was confused and asked, "What do you mean?"