Prologue

Ella

Removing my headphones from my head and putting it down on the desk in front of me. I hear a knock from the front door. I get up, leaving my blue ballpoint pen down on top of my engineering graphic and design homework sheets. I open the door of the study room. Father isn't supposed to be home only until next week. Maybe his business trip's meetings went fast.

I hear a sympathetic voice greet my mom but their voice is too quiet to be auditable.

My older brother is playing on the couch with my younger brother. My twin brother is coming down the stairs, his footsteps coming down, he is never light on his feet.

"We are so sorry to inform you but... your husband passed away on his trip," someone from in front of the house says. My older brother, Lucas looks up, he puts the controller down and looks at my younger brother, Danny. Danny is still concentrated on the game.

A cry passes my mother's mouth and my older brother walks to hold my mom, I walk out of the study room, no longer standing in the doorway. My twin brother looks over at me before looking at my younger brother. 

Dad can't be dead, I look over at my twin, he just shakes his head before walking to my older brother who is now holding my mom in his hands trying to calm her cries down.

They have to be lying. I walk back into the study, the person has to be lying. My father would always return home from business trips.

"It's alright," my twin brother turns me, I feel my eyes getting blurry. He hugs me, making my head rest on his chest.

My cheeks feel wet and my breathing is no longer even, "He can't be gone. Father always- he alw- always returned."

"They say he died in an accident," my brother says, his voice sounds numb.

"He, wa-was a-a...a" I try to catch my breath and make my voice auditable from it being so high, "cautious driv-," I start but my brother just rubs my back in a circular motion cutting me off.

"I know," he says, his voice doesn't crack but it has a sombre tone to it.

I know for a fact, my father wouldn't be thereason for an accident, so who collided with him?