Ch. 2: Surprise

"Are you ready?"

Vivian walks in, eyeing me as I slip on my shoes. I nod, smiling up at her before grabbing my camera and purse. She smiles back as she grabs her own black bag. She goes towards the front door, the hotel key in her hands as she reaches for the knob.

She stops right before she touches the old metal, turning to look at me with a questioning look. I stop, looking up as I stick my camera into my own bag.

"Do you have your extra film?"

"Yes."

"And your wallet?"

"Mhmh..."

"What about your pepper spray?"

"Yes."

I nod, smiling as she nods back. The door swings open with a soft creaking sound as we walk out. The only things on my mind are Shawn and Philly, but I push them back with the idea of sight seeing and shopping in London for once.

——

"How many did you get this time?"

"Ten..."

I count out the photos from my Polaroid camera, smiling as I look at every single one. Vivian clears her throat, taking a sip of her water before setting the glass down gently.

"What about souvenirs? What did you get Shawn and your parents?"

It put the pictures away, reaching for the shopping bag between my feet. I sigh, pulling out the first object with a smile. A beautiful maroon cloth.

"My mom got a new coat..." I set it on my lap before pulling out the last two items inside. "Dad a new hat, and Shawn a snow globe with Big Ben!"

"Nice. I'm sure they'll love them!"

I smile, putting everything away as I see our food on its way towards us. A bright smile makes it way to my lips as the waiter smiles back. He sets down the food tray, laying my plate of pasta in front of me before doing the same with Vivian's salad.

"Thank you..."

"Of course..."

He flashes me another smile before turning and walking back towards the restaurant. The wind blows my hair as I dig in, eating with a proud smile as Vivian does the same. Her face holds a neutral look, her eyes on her plate of greens.

"So..."

I look up as she speaks in between bites. She doesn't once eat with her mouth open, opting to swallow before speaking. I swallow my own food, grabbing a napkin to wipe my mouth as I give her my full attention.

"I have a surprise."

"What is it?"

"I talked to Michael...he's agreed..to draw up a new contract."

"Why?"

"Because..."she sighs, smiling at me while setting her fork down. "We've both agreed that it's time for you to be a normal teen for once..."

"So...you're dropping me?"

My face screws into a frown as she shakes her head, laughing a little under her breath.

"No. We're sending you home..."

"What!"

A smile breaks out onto my face, my shout no doubt bringing attention our way. Vivian fails to hold back her laugh this time as she nods, her smile growing.

"Yes. But not until after summer break."

"Summer?"

"Yeah. You'll be back in school...around people your own age...you'll be in actual classrooms instead of cramming lessons in whenever you can....you'll be normal for once!"