Ch. 27: Late Work

The next day starts off pretty easy, I eat a quick breakfast and manage to get to school twenty minutes early. I walk towards the library, a new book on my mind as I pass a familiar face.

"Hey..Stacy, right?"

I brush a strand of my hair back, smiling up at the tall brunette boy before me. Sebastian closes his sketchbook, standing up straight as he continues to lean against a group of lockers.

"Yeah! Uh..Sebastian, right?"

I smile, playing it off as his own smile comes to life. He looks down at the ground, glancing up at me as his head stays a little low. I pull my late work towards my chest, feeling myself gravitating towards him for some reason. He stands up straight, his smile morphing into a small smirk as he looks down at my books and folders.

"Where ya headed?"

"The library..." I look towards the doors down the hall from us, the big sign above it telling you exactly what it is. "I want to check out a new read...I haven't had an opportunity since break and I figured 'eh..why not now?'."

"Instead..."

I give him a confused look as he stands up straight, reaching into his messenger bag. He gives me another smile as he pulls out a book.

"You into murder mysteries and suspense?"

"I dabble in it, yes." I nod, cocking my head as I meet his eyes. "Why?"

"Because I just got this book last week and I'm already done. It just came out and I don't even think the school library has it."

"What is it?"

I'm intrigued. It's been far to long since I've read any form of mystery. I've been on a classic kick for so long that I almost forgot about what got me into reading to begin with.

"It's called 'The Bird Artist'...it's a murder mystery like no other."

He holds it out, giving me the que to take it from him. I scan the cover, turning it over to see the back as Sebastian keeps talking.

"Why?"

"Because the murder admits to the crime on page one."

I give him a shocked look, immediately opening it to the first page. He continues his explanation of the book, my eyes already scanning the words that start this story.

"The rest of the book is a step by step account of what happened and why. It's thrilling. It's intriguing. And I could not put it down."

"Interesting..." I look up, holding the book back out to him. "I'll have to keep an eye out for it the next time I go shopping..."

"Oh! No need!" I give him a confused look as he gives me a smile. "I'm loaning it out to you. Just bring it back when you're done and we'll call it good."

"Are you sure?" I hesitate in taking it, glancing down at the pristine cover and the clean pages. "You just got it.."

"And I've already read it. It's no big deal..." He slips his sketchbook into his bag, slipping around me and walking the way I came from. "See ya later."

"Yeah...see ya."

I watch him leave before continuing towards the library. I guess I can use the rest of this time to work on some of my late work. The book in my hand is added to the stack against my chest as I reach for the large wooden doors.

——

"You've gotta be kidding me..."

I huff, going through the stack of late work and the list that I got from all of my teachers. I'm missing more than half of the papers that were written out. I asked each one for a list of all my late assignments because the stack felt thin.