Ch. 16: Sister

As soon as the last bell rings, I rush out the school. I still have the picture that the girl gave me tucked away in my pocket. The only proof I need to confront the person on my mined right now. He's currently working at a gas station not far from Chubbies, I guess the only good thing about him working there.

I walk in, a hard glare in my face as I see him laughing with a customer buying beer and cigars. He spots me, straightening up while holding his smile.

"Well...if it isn't my baby girl!"

"Am I?"

I storm over, slamming the picture on the counter. My father's smile drops as he sees the baby's face, regret filling his features as the man clears his throat. He grabs his change and leaves, making sure to grab the beer and cigars before rushing out the door. I keep my eyes on my father, watching as he gently picks up the picture.

"Where did you get this?"

"From my little sister."

"You don-"

"Yes I do. She paid me a visit today...at school. Knew my name, my birthday, even what time I was born. Then she hands me that!"

I point towards the picture, letting my anger out as he looks up a me. He sighs, looking back down at the picture in his hands.

"Virna's not your mother..."

I gulp, looking at him as he sets the picture down. He leans fully onto the counter, clearing his throat while looking down.

"I was married to Jack's mother, your other brother remember?" I nod, clearing my own throat as I look down at the picture. "Well...one night..I got really drunk, did some things I should've never done and she took off. It was before we knew about Jack, so I thought it was the end. I went to a bar, continued drinking and met a beautiful brunette fresh out of college and looking for a distraction from her Ex..."

I look up, seeing my dad gulp. This is all new information, all making sense. I stay silent as he continues.

"I woke up the next morning with her rushing out after seeing my wedding pictures on the wall...I guess we both decided to forget it and I did."

He looks up, regret clearly on his face as he sighs.

"I didn't remember until two years later..."

"Why then?"

"Because you were dropped off on our door step with a two notes and a picture. You had just turned one a month or two prior and, funny enough, shared a birthday with Jack. Elenor almost left me again, but stayed for Jack. She didn't leave again until..."

"You knocked up someone else and Shawn was born?"

"Yeah..."

I nod, looking down. I guess this is why he's always been distant. Why he's always blamed me for things that I didn't cause. I guess in his mind, I did.

"Stacy..."

I turn around, walking out the door as my father yells after me. I don't want to hear anymore and I don't want to be around him. I rush down the street, not even stopping when I bump into someone.

——

I end up at Chubbies, my face numb as I walk down the stairs. I see the girl from before smiling at a table, laughing at something that the person sitting across from her said. I feel my legs carrying me towards the table as I recognize who it is.

"Hey! Why didn't you wait for me?"

I look at Shawn, not speaking as he looks up at me. The girl across from him looks between us, her smile dropping a little at the look on my face.