Ch. 23: Turnaround pt. 2

"Right here! Good!"

I smile, posing for the camera that is pointed at me. Since prom is coming up for most high schools, I'm modeling a few different dresses for some malls. Right now I'm in a beautiful floral mini that I love.

Maybe I can talk Raphael into letting me keep it...

"Alright! That's a wrap..."

I sigh, moving towards Vivian as she checks over a list in her hands. She smiles at me as soon as she looks up, her hair slightly longer than the last time I saw her.

"Okay...so tomorrow we'll be in New York. We'll do a few similar shots with a different brand and then call it and hitching a ride to LA for a third round of this..."

"Are we done for tonight, though?"

"Yeah! Why? You want to go to that dance?"

"How'd you know about the dance?"

"I'm in touch with your school schedule and event calendar...how do you think I know when to book you?"

"Well...I don't want to go...I don't like school dances?"

"Why?"

"Because when I went to one in sixth grade..I..didn't have a good time..."

"And? You're going to let one experience change your whole view?"

"I..."

I stop, looking up at her as she smiles. She grips my shoulders, pulling me close. She only really does this when she's giving me advise.

"When I was your age...I let a lot get to that I shouldn't have...I missed out on a lot of memories because of it..."

"Even if I wanted to go...it's almost halfway through and I'm halfway across Philly! I don't have a dress and I don't have a date..."

"So! You don't need a date."

"And the dress your wearing is quite nice, yes?"

I look between Vivian and Raphael, who just popped out of nowhere with his camera in his hands. He nods down to the dress that his brother designed, making me bite my lip.

"Oscar won't mind?"

"Please...Oscar loves you!"

"And he said you can pick one dress from the collection to keep, yes?"

I smile, looking between the two adults again. I hug Vivian, immediately pulling Raphael into a hug after. He laughs, looking me over.

"Change shoes and fix hair and makeup, yes?"

Vivian nods, pushing me towards the makeup chair. I sigh, letting them take over like I have so many times before.

——

"Poor Cory....dumped three times in one night..."

Sadie and I stand in the bathroom, checking our makeup. Danny, her date, is talking with his friends so she came in here. I just happened to run into her.

"He did?"

"Yeah...heard about it through the network..."

"Poor guy..."

I sigh, fluffing my loose curls before smiling at Sadie.

"How's your night going?"

"Danny and I are going to Chubbies after this for some burgers and shakes...maybe you can come?"

"I'd rather not third wheel, thank you..."

"So no date?"

"I didn't know I was coming until fifteen minutes ago. Of course I don't have a date..."