Ch. 29: Birthday Blues pt. 2

"No..no...definitely not."

I sigh, flipping through shirts in a random store. The mall is somewhat crowded, Saturday no doubt contributing towards the higher numbers. I spot a group of girls laughing two isles over, making me glance over before sighing.

I move onto another rack, shifting through a few dresses before deciding just to go to another store. I start to walk towards the exit, stopping as soon as I see a familiar brunette also shopping alone.

"Natalie?"

She looks over, her hair brushing away to reveal a split lip and a bruised cheek. I clear my throat, walking over as she crosses her arms. Since cheer season is over, we don't see each other as much and it's honestly probably for the best.

"Stacy. Thought you'd be with one of your many friends."

"All busy..." I say, throwing on a smile as I try my best not to look at the bruise or fat lip. "What about you? Shopping alone?"

"Yeah well. My 'friends' are too busy ignoring my calls and I didn't want to be at home so."

I nod, glancing down at her cheek before clearing my throat. I glance behind us, spotting the clock on the wall. My stomach rumbles as I realize just how long I've been here.

"You wanna get some lunch?"

I ask as I turn back around. She rolls her eyes, giving me a look as she stands above me. She's like four inches taller than me, so it makes sense why she'd tower over me.

"Why? We're not friends."

"Because I'd rather not eat lunch alone on my birthday...and I'm beyond hungry so come on if you're coming."

I say, turning to walk out of the store. My bags from the stores I have been in weigh down my left arm as I walk towards the food court. A smile makes it's way onto my face as the tall girl falls into step beside me.

——

"Is it really your birthday?"

"Yeah. Sweet sixteen actually."

I nod, taking a sip of my drink as we sit at a table. A pepperoni pizza sits on the table between is, a slice in both of our hands. Her alt style draws more attention then my somewhat preppy, but it also could be that we're two very beautiful girls.

Or the massive bruise on her cheek.

"And you're spending it alone at the mall? Not with family?"

"My family chose to ignore my birthday, so I'm spoiling myself at the mall. What about you?"

"What about me?"

"The massive bruise and fat lip that I've been ignoring until now. What happened there?"

"None of your business."

Both of us hold slight anger as I raise an eyebrow, giving her a look. She huffs, looking down at the table as I reach for my drink. I glare at a passing group of girls who are staring at us, pointing as they whisper.

"You gotta problem?"

I feel my mouth move before realizing that I've spoken. They look at me, gulping and rushing away really fast. Natalie looks at me, her face going neutral as I continue to glare at the girls retreating forms.

"Why'd you do that?"

"Why not. Now answer my question. What happened?"

"My mom..got mad that I installed a lock on my door. Came home to my door off it's henges and a slap to the face. Why do you even give a shit?"