Ch. 31: Practice

"You got mail."

I look up at Natalie as she walks inside, mail in her hands. Virna is at the hairstylist again and dad's at his second job this month. Shawn is no doubt with Cory leaving Natalie and I as the only two people at the trailer.

"What is it?"

"Do I look like I have X-Ray vision? Find out yourself..."

I roll my eyes as I reach up to take the large envelope from her. I see Vivian's name and immediately freeze. I take a few deep breaths before opening it up and looking over the booklet.

"What's that?"

"I don't know...can't you see or are you suddenly blind too?"

She huffs, rolling her own eyes before moving into the kitchen. The couch that I sit on is crowded with my textbooks and papers from my own studying and homework.

I stand, leaving everything right there before moving towards the fridge. Natalie starts to pour herself a glass of juice, leaving me just enough as I pull out the leftovers from last night.

"You want any?"

"No thanks...I just ate."

I nod, getting out enough pot roast to make me a sandwich. She hands me my own cup of juice, making me give her a confused look before she starts to leave the house.

"I've got a ride to work, so I'll see you later."

"Yeah..." I start to make my sandwich, glancing over my shoulder towards her. "See ya.."

She's gone with in seconds, leaving once again alone in this trailer. With the sudden silence, I'm left with nothing but the sound of passing cars on the highway and the sound of another argument from next door.

Sighing, I walk over and flip on the radio. I'd rather be the loudest in the trailer park then know who's been sleeping in who's bed.

——

"Thanks again, Stacy..."

"Of course! And if you ever need help with that equation again, you know my number!"

I wave towards Michell, a smile on my face as he walks up the stairs to Chubbies. He's actually quite sweet and doesn't hit on me every few seconds. Eric walks down the steps as the tall raven leaves, his eyes watching him go before turning towards me.

"Was that Michell Davis?"

"Yeah he's one of the people I'm helping study..."

I start to put away my notes and text books, clearing the table as he sits down across from me. His eyes keep moving towards the stairs, his normal goofy smile replaced with a face I don't see on him that often.

"Did..did he say anything about me or..."

"No." I let out a confused laugh, reaching into my backpack for my script. "Why would he?"

"Oh! Uh..no reason." He plays it off, letting out an awkward laugh before grabbing the booklet out of my hands. "What're you working on?"

"Hey!"

He reads over the title, his eyes wide as he no doubt recognizes the popular show on the cover. He starts to flip through pages aggressively while reading everything that he can.

"Be easy with that!"

I grab it back, huffing as I check for any damages. He stares at me in shock for a moment before raising his hand. He slowly points his finger at the pages, his face screwed up in a shocked face.