Ch. 15: Letters and Secrets

It has been forever since I've done this...

That's all that comes to mind as I look down at the paper on the desk in front of me. It's my free period, the library feeling cozy and quiet as I get a break from the world around me. I already checked out my new read and tucked away in my bag so I can focus on the empty page.

Dear Jack...

I sigh, stopping after that. My mind goes blank as I try to think of something to write down. What do I write about when I haven't seen my brother in over ten years?

"Who's Jack?"

I jump, looking up to see the junior from the art class that I modeled for. I clear my throat, reaching for the paper and crumbling it up. I huff, moving to reach for my stuff as Sebastian clears his throat.

"I didn't mean to startle you...I just thought you were stuck on a school paper and I thought I'd come help."

"I was trying to write a letter to someone I haven't talked to in years, okay?"

"Jack, right?"

I nod, sitting back down as the few memories that I have of him come to mind. A small, sad smile makes its way onto my lips as I remember the brunette boy who I used to play with all the time. His face is foggy, his voice and laugh the only thing that I can recognize as I replay the memory from when I was two.

I know it seems too young, but the human brain is a mystery in it's self....

"Do you mind...if I ask what he was to you?"

"My brother..." I exhale, deciding not to make eye contact with the boy who's now sitting beside me in a pulled up chair. "We were separated at the age of three...his mom found out that our dad knocked up my mom again....she dropped all contact and ran off with a rich guy who lives in New York."

"Damn...and I thought my family drama was bad..."

I laugh, shaking my head while finally looking up at the boy beside me. He has his own smirk on his lips, his eyes already on my own. I sigh before sitting up straight and turning towards him fully.

"I already told you part of mine...what's your's?"

"My mom ran off when I was twelve with the neighbor...dad hasn't been the same since."

"I'm sorry..."

My smile drops, my amusement fully gone as I lean closer to him. I instinctively grab his hand for comfort, gulping at the heat radiating off of him. He smiles at me, gripping my hand back while looking down at our hands.

I clear my throat, pulling back right before the bell rings. I silently exhale a breath of relief as I grab my stuff and stand. I clear my throat, offering a small smile while he stands as well.

"I gotta get to history..."

"Yeah. I got stuff to do as well..." I turn to leave right before he stops me. "Hey..uh..do you want to maybe go out sometime?"

A smile makes it's way onto my lips, my breath seizing in my throat. Before I can say anything, Shawn pops up out of no where with a huge smirk on his face.

"No can do! She's got stuff!"

"Shawn!"

"What?"

Sebastian laughs, stepping around us while keeping his eyes locked on my own. He smiles, his hands in his leather jacket.

"Just let me know...I'd love to take you anywhere."

I turn to my annoying brother as soon as he's out of sight, a glare clear on my face. I cross my arms while raising an eyebrow at him.