Chapter 9

I cried all the way back home. Male ego was intolerable, but more so was the thought of Chelsea among rogues. What did she do to deserve this?

I was not going to rely on Do Hyun anymore. Not after what he said. I didn't need his peanut help anyway. I was very much capable of rescuing Chelsea on my own.

~ x ~

My dining table had begun to overflow with sticky notes and thread by the time the clock struck 12. I backed away to stretch and grab a glass of water. I had been jotting down everything I could relate to the case from the little knowledge I had of Criminology and my own weird experiences, but I was getting nowhere. The stress of the day was catching up as well.

There came a tiny knock on the door as my lips touched the rim of my glass. It took me by surprise. "Didn't I lock the gate?" I murmured as I approached the door. If Do Hyun was there to apologise, he was going to go home singed and brutally defeated.

I donned the angriest expression I could manifest (which was not hard at all), and opened the door. But all that anger evaporated from my face and shock settled in its stead when A-Yeong greeted me at the door.

"A-Yeong? What are you doing here?" I asked, not making an attempt to conceal my surprise. "Won't you even ask me to come in?" she said with a pout, pushing me away and entering the house. It was only then that my eyes fell on her entourage. "Wow...that's a lot of bodyguards..." I said, still trying to process the events. A-Yeong made herself comfortable in the living room. "So this is why Yoongi felt like he'd seen you before," she said, her eyes touring the room. "Huh?" I proceeded to join her on the sofa but she interrupted, "Please get me some water, dear, I'm parched." I smiled and went into the kitchen. My brain had adjusted itself to the situation by now, and I proceeded to think about Yoongi. Did we meet before?

I sat down beside A-Yeong and waited for her to finish drinking while my eyes wandered to the massive men standing guard at the door. "You will have such arrangements at your disposal soon," A-Yeong noticed. "Oh, that's not necessary," I said quickly, waving my hands to dismiss her misinterpretation. "You will need it, and it will become indispensable after you officially become the daughter-in-law of Min A-Yeong," she smiled. "What?" I laughed, "Daughter-in-law?" I was amused at how comfortable she had become with such a short acquaintance, "Will Yoongi be okay with that?"

"He won't say no to me," she said, "He is a good child. I have raised him right."

"Too bad," I replied, "I'm already engaged."

"To that lowly police officer who used you to get promoted? Don't disgrace me by mentioning him," she said.

I jerked away. I did not mention Do Hyun to her in the hospital. Neither have I met her before today. "How did you know?" I asked as I eyed her warily. "I have my ways of knowing what I want to know," she smirked. "How?" I asked, "Who are you?" "It's such a shame," she began, slowly getting up, which made me quickly get off the sofa as well, "That you being a Criminology student, do not know Min A-Yeong." She took a step towards me, and I took two back, thinking quickly before it hit me.

"THE MIN FAMILY!?"

And that was it. All the friendship I felt for her evaporated in less than a second. Anger rushed to my cheeks as I looked for something to grab and use as a defence. "Where is Chelsea?" I asked as threateningly as I could. A-Yeong's expression changed to a question mark before she responded, "Night Sky's daughter?"

"Who's Night Sky? Chelsea is an orphan," that was a statement. A-Yeong said nothing. Perhaps she was thinking what to say. I prepared myself. I was not going to take any nonsense. A-Yeong turned to her bodyguards. "Take her."

Two huge men with piercings stepped forward as I ran towards the back door, but they caught and held me by the neck before I could exit, tying my hands and feet and gagging me. I was picked up as if I were a cotton doll, and put inside a black limousine which was parked outside.