Chapter 38

The garage on Jindo Island was big and spacious, but meagre efforts had been put into its lighting.

The only source of light was a few bulbs hanging directly above three people seated together - Siyabonga, Fadhlan, and Black Bird. Siyabonga was the African bandit who had stolen the black diamond. The rest of the garage was occupied by Fadhlan's, Siyabonga's, and Black Bird's men, their faces invisible in the dim lighting but their presence announced by light glinting off their weapons. None of them were seated. I stood a respectful distance away from the three in the center, with Jungkook standing behind me.

The deal was quickly made and Fadhlan and Siyabonga stood up and shook hands. Black Bird got up as well.

Boom!

A firing round began in the garage all of a sudden. Some ducked for cover while others answered the incoming bullets with their own. A few men were already down. Jungkook and I rushed to escort Siyabonga and Fadhlan to safety.

Once we ensured that Siyabonga and Fadhlan were safely in their vehicles and away from trouble, Jungkook and I hurried back to the garage. No sooner did we reach it than flames began to engulf the garage from all sides. Jungkook and I nodded at each other before separating and escaping into the forest cover behind the garage with our men.

Black Bird had expected trouble to show up, either in the form of Night Sky or the police. The instructions he gave were clear - upon the faintest sign of danger, Jungkook and I were to take Siyabonga and Fadhlan out of the garage. Black Bird would stay back and keep the attackers at bay. At the right moment, the boxes of inflammable metal powder lined up along the garage's walls would be shot, instantly starting a fire. Black Bird and his men would escape in the confusion. Once out of the garage, everyone was to split into small teams and retreat in different directions to avoid being pursued. We would later gather at a secluded spot outside Jindo County.

Moving through the forest my eyes searched for Black Bird. Three men accompanied me. Guns drawn, we were moving swiftly, making as little sound as possible.

Black Bird and I were probably headed in different directions, but I was worried for him. I wanted him to be safe, and my eyes and ears were peeled for the slightest hint of him. Moving deeper into the forest, the sight which finally greeted me was very unwelcome.

Four police officers chased Black Bird and the two men accompanying him. The two were shot down, Black Bird escaping into the woods with a bullet in his arm. One of the officers went after Black Bird and I immediately recognized him. Seo Joon. I ran after Black Bird while the men with me took the other officers down.

~ x ~

As soon as Seo Joon came into view, I aimed for his legs and shot both of his calves. He screamed and hit the ground, a stone grazing his forehead. I bent down and checked him when he didn't move. The wound on his head was not deep, he was probably just unconscious. Picking myself up again I jogged around, calling for Yoongi.

I soon spotted him leaning against a tree, clutching his arm tightly. It had begun to bleed profusely. "Yoongi!" I hurried up to him, pulling out a small first-aid kit attached to my belt. "This will only take a minute," I said, drawing his wounded arm towards me as he stared at me in surprise. I took the bullet out with a pair of forceps, wiping the blood away and applying antibiotic ointment before tightly bandaging the wound to prevent further blood loss. No sooner was I done than Yoongi wrapped his arm around me and pulled me behind the tree. Surprised by the sudden movement, I glanced in the direction his head was pointed in. Five men dressed in black, holding heavy pistols in their hands moved about a little distance away from where we stood. They seemed to be searching for something. Judging by Yoongi's actions, they could only be Night Sky's men.

Yoongi and I looked at each other at the same time. "Yin, I-" "You don't need to explain, Yoongi. I trust you. You can go after them," I cut Yoongi off, pecking his lips, "And take this with you." I shoved my gun into his hands. "I can't! You need this," Yoongi protested, to which I replied, "Don't worry. The officers who came after you are dead, and I have three of your men accompanying me. I'll be fine. You need this more than I do. I've only used two of the bullets. Give me your gun now, and good luck."

Yoongi hesitantly put his revolver in my hand. Just as I had expected, he was out of bullets. He would have shot Seo Joon and the others otherwise.

I peeked at Night Sky's men one final time and quietly slipped away.