Chapter 24

"Do you know that we are being followed, sir?" she asked.

"Yes," he replied, "Let him come closer. His chances of escape would be less."

Everything was happening according to Black Bird's plan. Baek Hyeon, as Black Bird had expected, sat looking for the right opportunity to use "Alpha X" after his big insult. Black Bird just had to create that opportunity. He did so with the help of Dae-Ho's party. It was a gathering large enough; all important people other than Baek Hyeon would be present in it. Predictably, Baek Hyeon took the bait.

Alpha X is a weapon which can release tiny but powerful missiles on a target location. The missiles can destroy everything within a 100-mile radius. Black Bird knew that Night Sky, if he really had access to such a weapon, would never give it away for something as casual as revenge. He must have given Baek Hyeon a duplicate, with complete confidence that he wouldn't dare to use it against his own boss. Black Bird, however, was well aware of Baek Hyeon's weaknesses, and when he found that the "weapon" made him arrogant, prompting him to misbehave with Vynyla, he took the chance to insult and provoke him.

Black Bird clenched his fists. The mere thought of another person touching Vynyla angered him.

Black Bird had his spy stationed in Baek Hyeon's mansion. He was notified as soon as the missile was set off, allowing him to clear people out before the building erupted into flames. It didn't take long for Baek Hyeon to realise that he had been tricked when he used Alpha X. He immediately set off to confront Night Sky, with Black Bird's spy following him. She had just returned with news, without failing to notice that she too had been followed.

"Who is he?" Black Bird asked.

"Probably a police officer."

"Get him now."

~ x ~

Do Hyun sat up with difficulty. He had made the mistake of venturing too close to his target thinking he was distracted, and foolishly fell into his trap.

Black Bird twirled an iron pipe casually in his hands. It was his favourite weapon. The pipe was brown with rust, hiding the dark red of the blood of who knows how many people it had beaten up, a fortunate few even to death. One end of the pipe had a small tear, rendering the split circular end particularly sharp.

The pipe was freshly coloured with Do Hyun's blood, and a little amount of it had gotten onto Black Bird's hands as well, but he was far from satisfied. The bloody officer just wouldn't talk. "Do Hyun, huh?" Black Bird began in a threatening low voice, "You're quite tough. Sensible people who reach this point put their stupid egos aside and submit."

Do Hyun glared at Black Bird, "You'll never get anything out of me no matter what you do, you rogue!"

Black Bird gave Do Hyun a powerful blow with the pipe. Do Hyun crashed down onto the floor, blood oozing rapidly from the cut on his head. Black Bird began to bend down with the intention of grabbing his arrogant captive's collar and making him talk, but before he could, he was pulled up by a pair of soft hands into a kiss.

~ x ~

Jungkook and I were on our usual garden stroll. "Is it true that there is a room behind the garage?" he suddenly asked as we sat down near the fountain. "Yes," I replied, "Why do you ask?" "I think it's cool," he said, "They are used for so many things in the movies. Someone builds a start-up, someone has a board full of clues leading to a serial killer...I wonder what boss would be using that room for." "Definitely not for any of the reasons you mentioned," I giggled. "Still," he said, "Can we go take a look at it? Are you allowed?" "No," I shrugged, "It's off limits, but so was the park."

Jungkook and I smirked at each other before quietly making our way towards the garage.

Jungkook tugged at my sleeve the moment we neared the garage. "I don't think we can go there. Let's leave," he said with slight panic. I froze. Jungkook tried to pull me away but my legs wouldn't budge.

The screams coming from the room sounded too familiar. I walked towards the room, my anxiousness rising a block higher with every step I took. "Yin! Are you mad? We need to leave here! It's a torture room," Jungkook whispered harshly, grabbing my arm.

"It's Do Hyun!"

Jungkook paused. My face mirrored the worry and fear I felt. "Please, Jungkook. Let me save him. This could be my last time seeing him," I begged. Jungkook sighed, "All right."

We crept closer to the room and peeked in through the door. I watched in horror as a tied-up and bloody Do Hyun struggled under Yoongi's blows. I had to act quickly. An idea flashed in my head. Yes, it was the best option. I ran up to Yoongi and pulled him away from Do Hyun, planting my lips on his.

~ x ~

Yoongi found himself completely baffled by the unexpected event. His eyes remained wide open in surprise for quite a few minutes, before he closed them and allowed himself to enjoy the kiss. "Smart girl," Jungkook mused before focusing his attention on Do Hyun. He wanted to see how Do Hyun would react more out of curiosity than concern. Do Hyun's face portrayed shock as much as it did hurt and betrayal.

When Do Hyun's eyes first landed on Yin, his joy knew no bounds. She had no idea how frantic he had been for her, and how relieved he was to see her safe. But the very next moment, she pulled this villain of villains, the one who was torturing him, into a kiss. Do Hyun felt his heart shatter into a million pieces. The thought of Yin being held captive and mistreated kept him awake for nights. How wrong he had been about her. She was not just cheating on him, but also betraying the entire country. The soft glow Do Hyun beheld in Black Bird's eyes as Yin broke the kiss enraged him further. "You witch! I'll see your end for this!" he screamed, the pain from his bruises and his mental state taking a toll on him. Yoongi raised his pipe ready to strike him again but Yin tugged on his sleeve, "Why waste your energy on this fool, dear? I know him. He's my ex. He's probably here acting as a spy for the police. They have no potential to harm you anyway, so why waste your time on an ant like him?"

"Don't you dare utter mine or my department's name from your filthy lips you piece of tra-"

Yoongi struck Do Hyun hard, rendering him unconscious.

Jungkook quickly stepped into the room. He noticed Yin's cheeks turning red and was afraid she would start crying and give herself away. "I'll spare him for your sake," Yoongi said turning to Yin, "You're right anyway. We can't have much trouble from him." Yoongi glanced at Jungkook, who took the cue and stepped closer.

"You guys go on. I have work to do. I'll see you later," Yoongi left the room, and two men picked up an unconscious Do Hyun and followed him out.

Jungkook went up to Yin and hugged her. She hugged him back, burying her face into his chest. Jungkook could feel a tear slip down her cheek and meet his shirt. "You okay?" he asked softly. "Yes," she said, breaking the hug, "At least he's safe, even if he hates me now."

"He doesn't deserve you at all."

"I would have probably done the same if I were in his place," Yin smiled through her tears.

"No, you wouldn't. And that's why he doesn't deserve you."