Chapter 12: The Bond

Zoe woke up to the sound of someone giggling. She opened her eyes and saw Chloe sitting on the bed, playing with a stuffed bear. She smiled and said, "Good morning, sweetie. How are you feeling?"

Chloe looked at her and said, "Good morning, Zoe, Mommy. I'm feeling much better. Thank you for saving me from those men."

Zoe felt a pang of love and guilt. She said, "Chloe, I'm not your mommy yet. Your real mommy is in heaven, remember?"

Chloe nodded and said, "I know. But you're like a mommy to me. You're nice and pretty, and you care about me."

Zoe hugged her and said, "I do care about you, Chloe. You're a very special girl. I'm sorry I took you away from your daddy. I just  wanted to be with you at least for a little while."

Chloe said, "It's okay, Zoe mom. I, too, want to be away from him and the nanny, at least for a while. "

"Well, that's superb then. Come on, let's get ready. We have a big day ahead of us. We're going to have some fun."

They got out of bed and went to the bathroom. Zoe helped Chloe wash up and brush her teeth. She combed her hair and tied it in a ponytail. She dressed her into some shorts and sneakers that she had bought the night before. She looked at her and said, "You look adorable, Chloe. Are you ready to go?"

Chloe nodded and said, "Yes, Zoe mom. Where are we going?"

Zoe said, "We're going to the park. We're going to have a lot of fun, Chloe. Just you and me."

Chloe clapped her hands and said, "Yay! I can't wait, Zoe mom. Let's go."

"You haven't eaten anything yet. Let's go to the kitchen, and I'll prepare your favorite food."

They walked hand in hand to the kitchen, and Chloe sat on one of the kitchen chairs as Zoe put on her apron.

"So tell me, what do you like to eat for breakfast?"

"Just bacon and eggs,"

"Really boo?"

Chloe nodded, and Zoe smiled

"Your order is in the making your highness," she bowed dramatically, and Chloe giggled.

After breakfast, they went to the park. Zoe watched Chloe play with the other kids as she was seated on a bench not far away, smiling. Chloe faced Zoe's direction and got up quickly and ran to her. On the way she stumbled upon her shoelaces and fell down, luckily she was on the sand that she didn't feel any pain, she got up and ran to Zoe again this time paying a little more attention to her untied shoelace.

"It's so much fun here, Zoe mom, and I made new friends. I'm so happy, " she yelled

"It's good that you are making new friends now. Let's go do something else." Zoe said, tying the little girl's shoelace.

Chloe nodded and faced the direction of the other kids and waved goodbye. She took Zoe's hand, and they started walking to a tollshop nearby. Zoe bought some bird food and walked Chloe to a nearby pond.

"So now we going to do an act of kindness. Kindness is one of the many things that money can't buy. My mommy always told me 'be the change you wish to see in the world' and change starts with you. You see all these ducks, they look hungry, don't they?"

"Yes, they do, so we should feed them, right?" Chloe said, taking all of the bird food from Zoe's hand.

"Good now, that's more like it,"

Zoe watched Chloe feed all the ducks, and when she was done, she walked over to Zoe and said

"I really enjoyed doing an act of kindness, mommy, but it seems the ducks are not fully content," she said pouting "can you buy them more food?"

Zoe smiled and said, "look dear you only saw that these ducks are not content after giving them so much, right? Now imagine how hungry the other ducks that you didn't feed are. The world is a cruel place, and it doesn't take you alone to change it. You need people's help. But nowadays no one really cares but that shouldn't give your hopes up you can still be the change you wish to see"

Chloe felt bad after listening to Zoe. Why did people not care about animals? They don't care about animals, let alone other human beings. She sadly sighed and said, "If it were up to me, the world would be a better place," and Zoe couldn't help but smile. At least now the girl will grow up to be someone with good values and a vision for the greater good.