chapter 46

The morning sun filtered through the sheer curtains, casting a soft glow across Zoey's room. She had been awake for hours, her mind racing with thoughts of the upcoming conversation with Lionel. She replayed their last encounter over and over, trying to piece together the man she thought she knew with the reality of his deception.

As she sipped her coffee, her phone buzzed. It was a text from Lionel: "Good morning, Zoey. Can we meet at the park by the river? There's a bench under the willow tree. 10 AM?"

Zoey hesitated, her thumb hovering over the keyboard. She took a deep breath and replied, "See you there."

The park was serene, a stark contrast to the turmoil in Zoey's heart. She found the bench, the willow's leaves whispering secrets in the breeze. Lionel was already there, looking out over the water. He stood as she approached, his eyes searching hers for forgiveness.

"Zoey, I owe you an explanation," he began, his voice steady but laced with regret. "I never meant to hurt you. I was afraid that my wealth would attract the wrong kind of attention, that people would only want me for my money. But with you, it was different. I wanted you to see me, not my bank account."

Zoey listened, her emotions a tangled web of anger, understanding, and a flicker of hope. "Lionel, I liked you for who you are, not for what you have. But trust is fragile, and you broke it."

"I'm sorry, but I really like you Zoey, please forgive me,"

"I don't know Leo. I don't usually get hurt when people say or think shit about me because of what I've been through but being thought of as a gold digger, that's extreme cause I'm the least interested in materialistic things. I have a desire for people to see me as who I am, but"

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Leo."

"You don't sound like you mean it. You probably hate me now."

"I do. I don't blame you for what you did, and I honestly do not hate you. When I needed someone you were there, when I was at my lowest and felt like goving up, you always encouraged me not to quit. Either way, we should always forgive and forget,right?"

"Zoey, I liked you from the very beginning, but because of my past, I didn't want you to turn out to be just like...her. I was afraid. I'm sorry. "

Zoey wanted to ask, 'Her who?' But decided against it.

"I understand, Leo. I mean it." Dhe said sincerely.

"So would you be my girlfriend?"

Sensing her refusal, Lionel said,

"Please? " he begged

"No and no. Look, let's start of anew as FRIENDS, and I'm sure the rest will fall in line."

As the sun reached its zenith, a decision was made. They would start anew, no lies between them, no pretenses. It would be a journey of healing and discovery, but they were willing to take it—together.

And as they walked side by side, leaving the willow tree behind, the song 'Slower' played softly in Zoey's mind. It was a reminder that life doesn't always have to rush forward; sometimes, taking it slower can lead to the most profound connections.