chapter

"Hie best friend," Mia said, sitting on the couch after putting the takeaways on the table.

"The show was a huge success Zoey thanks to your masterpiece. I will never regret meeting you."

Zoey laughed lightly.

Zoey's laughter was a soft melody, "I'm flattered," she replied, the corners of her eyes crinkling with delight

"Honesty, I wouldn't lie to you.I brought us some food."

They took out their takeaways, it was lobster tails with lemon and herb butter.

"So why did you leave the party early?" Mia asked

"Well, there's this guy named Lionel. I've known him for 2 years, and it seemed he wasn't who I thought he was. Today, I just found out he is a wealthy CEO for that Greene company -"

"The firm specializing in elite bodyguards?" Mia interjected, her eyebrows arching in surprise.

"Bingo. He masqueraded as a mere manager and gymnastics teacher, can you fathom that? He saw me as a gold digger," Zoey's voice was tinged with hurt, "I was offended, and rightly so. Materialism? It's the furthest from my desires. "

"Damn, I've never eaten this before. It tastes fancy and delicious not to forget about expensive." Zoey honestly joked.

Mia shrugged and said

"Well Zoey its kinda like my apology to you, and I'm sure Lionel has a perfectly legitimate reason he did that."

"Oh yes, you said you had a confession. Tell me, what did you do?" She said, ignoring the Lionel part.

"Well, the thing is, when Dante was fine, I actually told him a lie about Lionel so he could wed you sooner rather than later," she said with an apologetic gaze.

"Whatever it was, I'm sure it doesn't matter now that he lost his memory. We were just not meant to be. I understand that. Either way, I really wanna forget about him, so I'm thinking of hitting it with Lionel. "

Mia smiled and said genuinely.

"I'll support you in whatever you do, Zoey, I promise. Lionel seems like a good guy, better than my cousin, " she joked ," but don't you want to hear what I told him. It was half a truth."

"It doesn't matter geez he forgot about everything related to me anyway." With Dante's memory lost, Zoey saw a new path unfolding, one that might just lead back to Lionel.

They ate in silence and threw away their empty takeaways.

Seating in silence staring at each other.

"Dude, I'm straight. Don't look at me like that," Zoey joked.

"Oh, please. Did you hear the most trending song right now? It got me really hard like I literally cried. "

"What's the name?" Zoey asked

"Slower. Let me play it. "

Zoey just hummed, and the song started playing.

"Playing cool makes me lose my mind

I can't be someone I don't recognize

I'm not the type to have to say it twice

Or wait for you until the end of the night

I've been falling fast, and you don't seem to move

But is it worse for me if I tell the truth?

And are you just a poison that I shouldn't use?

Wish I could say to you what I can't say to you

We could take it slower

Wait until we're older

But I might be somebody

You might not even know her

I'm going through changes

It's a roller-coaster

But I might be somebody

You might not even know her

We could take it slower

Who knows who I'll be tomorrow

But I hope that you still like her the same

We might end up strangers somehow

You should get to know me today

Wish I could say to you what I can't say to you

I've been falling fast, and you don't seem to move

But is it worse for me if I tell the truth?

And are you just a poison that I shouldn't use?

We could take it slower

We could take it slower, "

The song trailed off and finished. Mia was in tears.

"I felt for her. Can you guess what happened?"

"No," Zoey flatly said, "The lyrics didn't hit hard after all,"

"Do you have human emotions? She is saying that a boy is making her fall hard while he's not even in love with her. If she tells him how she feels or maybe something else, it'll just be worse for her -"

"How do you know all that? Did she get into an interview or something?"

"Oh no, it's her first ever song. No video, no what, just a photo of a masked lady. It's her first ever song. She's my favorite now."

"I get it." Zoey said

"You are acting weird, Zoey," Mia said.