Chapter 35: Dangers Lurking

"Chloe, do you want to go see your Dad?" Brianne's voice was hushed as they stepped out of the sterile city hospital. Chloe's eyes flickered with curiosity.

"Sure," Chloe replied, her gaze drifting beyond the car window. The road stretched endlessly.

"Granny, this isn't the way to the airport," Chloe observed, her frown deepening.

Brianne's smile held a hint of bitterness.

"Little one, I didn't want to tell you this, but last night your daddy was in a 'little' car crash."

Chloe waved her hand dismissively, rolling her eyes.

"Too bad. Luckily, Daddy's a fighter. Nothing bad happened to him, right?"

Her certainty wavered, caught in the undertow of doubt.

"You'll see for yourself,"Brianne whispered, her gaze fixed on the outskirts of the city.

At Dante's bedside, Chloe's exclamation echoed through the room.

"Daddy!"

His bandaged head turned, and he smiled-a fragile bridge between past and present.

Chloe glanced at Brianne, who sat on the couch.

"Told you my daddy's a fighter."

But Chloe's chatter soon faded. She leaned in, speaking to Dante. His responses were mere hums, like half-forgotten echoes.

"We've traveled back in time," Chloe mused. "Your words are limited again, boring. Goodbye and good night. Make sure to visit when you get better. "

As Chloe left, Brianne exhaled. Zoey remained unspoken. Chloe's blabbering innocence had spared them-for now.

"Our flight's at 5,"Brianne said after exiting the room.

"Your mother won't be awake yet. We'll call her after we land."

"Don't worry,"Chloe assured. "I already told her I'm leaving."

***

Meanwhile, Skylar entered Zoey's room. She lay there, a fragile wisp of life. His voice cut through the silence.

"What did you do to her?"

"Nothing,"the Selena replied, her eyes inscrutable.

"Her injury isn't serious, but we can't risk her freedom. The more she's free, the more she'll need Dante."

"Her phone?" Skylar pressed.

"Zake hacked it,"she said, slipping away.

"Worry not about this. Worry about the shadows closing in. Worry about those red pests"