Chapter 13

June 8, 1963, 14:00

Akasaka Luxury Restaurant, Tokyo, Japanese Empire

A meeting was underway between Kaya, the head of the Technocrat faction, and Kishi, *1 a heavyweight fixer of the reform bureaucrat known as the Devil of Shōwa, who also holds immense power in Manchuria as a feared shadow emperor.

Kaya had his reasons for meeting him.

A week had passed since Japan was sent to another world by a supernatural phenomenon, and many Japanese citizens were starting to give up regarding the absurd transference phenomenon and were facing the reality of the situation. In the midst of this, it was Kishi, coordinating a colonization plan for the other world primarily among Technocrats of the Diet and adjusting it with various zaibatsu.

The zaibatsu were all plummeting into economic decline, with the Yasuda Zaibatsu's related companies' stock prices falling to one-fifth of their value. In such dire circumstances, Kishi proposed a "large-scale settlement plan" that could serve as a last-ditch effort for the dying zaibatsu. He also arranged for the dispatch of employees and others to the Principality of Qua-Toyne. Without Kishi, Kaya would not have been able to exercise his faction's influence.

When Kishi proposed the idea to Kaya, Kaya reported the proposal and plan to Takagi, who accepted it, which further solidified Kishi's role as a reliable political advisor. To show his appreciation for Kishi's efforts, Kaya invited him to a high-class restaurant frequented by politicians for a casual meeting.

"Even so, Kishi-san, you had a hard time... because the area that had served as a model for the bureaucrats' state system in Manchuria was lost..."

"Not at all. Fortunately, as far as my family was concerned, I was at home, so I was never separated from them, but I lost most of the contacts I had built up during my time in Manchuria..." Kishi lamented as he slowly sipped his sake.

Though originally stationed in Manchuria, he had been abruptly summoned to Tokyo on May 31 due to the corruption scandal involving Yasuda Zaibatsu. Consequently, he was caught up in this transference phenomenon. Most of the connections he had built up were lost, but that did not diminish his wisdom or ideas. Even in the midst of the most devastating situation that no one had ever experienced, Kishi was still able to do his job as a fixer.

"Nevertheless, it was brilliant of you to propose a settlement plan for Qua-Toyne on the condition that the Yasuda Zaibatsu and other companies be restored. Thanks to you, the Technocrats have been recognized."

"I'm simply carrying out what we did during the Manchurian settlement era, but in a way that improves the conditions. Much of Manchuria's large-scale agricultural projects were derived from the Manchurian settlers... The agricultural projects in Qua-Toyne will undoubtedly generate profits and economic effects far beyond those of the previous settlement efforts."

The effect of Qua-Toyne's unique soil, which was said to be impervious to disease and pests, could be a savior for Japan. Therefore, as a measure for unemployment and food shortages, the construction of an economic system by the Technocrats is being attempted by securing 22% of the agricultural production land of the Principality of Qua-Toyne as Japanese territory.

"Thanks to the good work of diplomat Tanaka-kun. Political maneuvers towards Qua-Toyne are also progressing steadily."

"Well, I am grateful that someone who shares the same path has taken on the responsibility of negotiating the window... I will leave the support for Tanaka-kun to you, Kaya-kun."

"Yes, I'll let Tanaka-kun keep you informed of the situation in Qua-Toyne."

As the diplomat in charge of Qua-Toyne, Tanaka is already at the Japanese embassy in the capital. Having established a communication system using external generators, he could give instructions to them at any time. This is a system that Kishi could not even accomplish in Manchuria, and is done by Kishi and other Technocrats. In addition, this has even received the endorsement of being officially approved by the Japanese government. It was also the moment when it was decided that the Technocrats would carry out a large-scale intervention in Qua-Toyne.

"I still couldn't do what I wanted to do to the fullest extent in Manchuria... so now I'm thinking of moving on to the next phase once the pioneers arrive and build up a city."

"...The next thing we're going to do is to infiltrate the political and private sectors of Qua-Toyne..."

"That's right, by showing them Japan's technological and pioneering capabilities, we will make them captive to Japanese technology..."

"By making them dependent on Japanese technology and environment to cloud their political judgment... It's frightening in the best of ways..."

The two would steadily and solemnly carry out their intervention in the Qua-Toyne Principality.

Infiltration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes:

*1: In OTL, he was a Manchukuo bureaucrat who was involved with many people, both legitimate and illegitimate, and even became prime minister after the war. As a result of the TNO development team's misunderstanding of his nickname "Shōwa no Yōkai" to be "Devil of Showa," there was an event in which he launched Order 44, a coup to eliminate politicians by ruthless means, but this event has now been removed.