Chapter 33

July 1, 1963 / Year 1639 Central Calendar, 07:00

Jin-Hark, Kingdom of Louria

The atmosphere was charged with anticipation as the decisive battle was about to take place in the capital city. People armed with spears and crossbows were preparing for combat, their expressions bright despite the recklessness of the impending battle.

"The King himself joining the battle... he truly cares for us."

"Yes, His Majesty fights for us without abandoning us! Long live Louria! Long live the King!"

"HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!"

The announcement of the King's personal involvement in the battle boosted the morale of new recruits and civilians who were mobilized. Meanwhile, regarding the wyvern force, tasked with eliminating enemy aerial forces likely to invade the capital, Aldebaran, the leader of the surviving wyvern riders from the advance party, was granted full command of the aerial forces by Patagene.

"Aldebaran, I entrust you with the command of all wyvern units, including the capital."

"Yes, sir... I humbly accept."

"I'm sorry, I'm sending you back to the front lines after you've returned safely..."

Patagene bowed his head as he spoke with a trembling voice.

During the capture of Gim, Aldebaran was one of the fortunate soldiers who barely escaped from the city. He had been on patrol duty away from the front lines when the Japanese army attacked.

Being at a frontline supply base of the Kingdom of Louria, about 15 kilometers from Gim, he luckily avoided the incendiary bomb attack by the Fugaku bombers. Aldebaran's unit was annihilated, and only a few wyvern riders from the capital managed to escape bombings like Muller and Thanakane.

"No, please don't bow your head, General. I let my subordinates die in vain and only one survived... I should be punished for that."

"But the information you obtained about the Japanese army's iron insects is not in vain. Depending on our strategy, we might be able to defeat the Japanese iron insects."

The iron insects of the Japanese army can attack at low altitudes and quickly dominate the ground, but they are slower than the iron wyverns that make thunderous noises. And because they fly at altitudes which the wyverns can intercept, there is a high possibility of shooting them down compared to the iron wyverns attacking from high altitudes.

Aldebaran proposed a plan to use highly flammable, high-purity magic stones to burn the iron insects to Patagene. Initially, Patagene opposed this too risky of a plan, but the situation of the war seemed not to allow otherwise.

Patagene approved this decision close to suicide.

"Yes, I have already obtained magic stones for the Royal Capital Dragon Riders from Master Yamirei. With this, we can fight without hesitation."

"I see... Is there anything else you want to tell your family or anyone else? I will make sure to deliver it without fail."

"No, there's nothing else. Those of us here have already said goodbye to our families yesterday."

Contrary to the cheers of the people who were encouraging themselves, it was already understood that this was an operation with death as its premise. This included Patagene and the generals, who were prepared to exchange their lives to strike the enemy with a single blow.

"Very well... I pray for your martial fortune."

"Yes, then from now on, the Royal Capital Dragon Riders will set out."

Aldebaran and the others drank southern-made ether wine before mounting their respective dragons.

Just after the Royal Capital Dragon Riders took off, an emergency transmission came as countless clouds of smoke approached from the northeast.

"Your Excellency! Countless white smokes are approaching from the northeast!"

"White smokes... this is bad, it's an attack from the Japanese army! Immediately evacuate the citizens in the square!"

Patagene, who had received reports of approaching magical bombs raising white clouds of smoke even away from iron wyverns, immediately anticipated the attack. And it was wise of him to immediately order his subordinates to evacuate.

"Understood, we will evacuate—"

However, the transmission didn't have time to finish its sentence. From now on, they will be mercilessly killed by weapons created by a non-magical civilization and hunted down to the last.

As the transmission was cut off, the royal castle where Patagene was shook like never before, accompanied by explosions.

And so we move forward.