Chapter 32

July 1, 1963 / Year 1639 Central Calendar, 06:00

Japanese 7th Division Camp near Jin-Hark, Kingdom of Louria

"Your Excellency, the deadline for response has passed..."

"No response, huh..."

"There's been no raising of the surrender flag either. We are also making calls through magical communication, but there's been no response."

General Nishi, the division commander, was somewhat puzzled by the lack of response from the Lourians. They had already razed the factories in the western region, and the southern region had already declared independence from Louria. Even the eastern territories were being crushed by the forces led by Lieutenant General Ōuchida, making it difficult for anyone to see how Louria could continue.

Yet, Louria hadn't given up.

Despite suffering such heavy losses, they still showed the will to resist to the end.

"It's almost like the China Campaign... The enemy is trying to bridge the gap in technology and resources with sheer determination..."

In his mind, Nishi recalled the ten-year war in China from 1937 to 1947. Japan initiated the war with China after the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, and after a decade-long struggle, managed to barely win. Despite President Joseph Kennedy of the United States withdrawing early from intervention in mainland China and both Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalist Party and Mao Zedong's Communist Party suffering heavy losses, the Chinese forces had exhausted the Japanese army with thorough delaying tactics and guerrilla warfare. Even with inferior technology and resources, human determination alone could make one formidable.

This was true for the Japanese army as well. They understood that the war on the mainland in China, which turned into a quagmire, was far more bitter and terrifying than the relatively short Pacific War. Indeed, partisan resistance movements were deeply entrenched on the continent, and before coming to this world, battles with anti-Japanese forces and guerrillas had been ongoing in Mongolia and the Southern Isles.

"According to aerial reconnaissance reports, there's been no confirmation of mass civilian evacuations. Instead, there are queues forming at what seem to be armories."

"...Are they mobilizing all the citizens of the capital for a decisive battle in the city?"

"That possibility is extremely high. It's estimated that nearly all citizens are armed."

"...What is Jin-Hark's population?"

"Estimated at around 650.000, but if these citizens are armed, it'll be extremely troublesome. Even if they're armed only with swords and spears, the likelihood of them overwhelming us with sheer numbers is high."

The enemy was already attempting to push back despite the overwhelming technological difference, even if it meant sacrificing tens of thousands of lives.

At this moment, Ine, one of the female military officers accompanying them from the Principality of Qua-Toyne, interjected.

"Your Excellency Nishi, we intercepted a manacomm transmission from the Lourians earlier, and something interesting has come to light."

"Did you find something?"

"King Louria XXXIV was giving a speech, stating that he would arm all citizens of the capital and personally lead them to confront us."

"So, they really did mobilize the citizens... and the king himself is going to the battlefield?"

"Yes, we've been receiving similar communications continuously from Lourian military devices we intercepted. It seems they intend to kill us in the capital."

A king personally going to the battlefield was an event not seen since the Franco-Prussian War of the 19th century in their history. Though they were cornered, there's a saying that a cornered rat will bite the cat. If they were careless, the damage would only get worse.

'If the king himself is going to the battlefield... then the command center would not only include the royal guards protecting the king but also a military and magical advisory council...'

Having grasped through magical communication that the enemy king was encouraging the citizens to fight in the capital's decisive battle, Nishi resolved to strike relentlessly before the threatening enemy could prepare fully.

"Contact the First Fleet waiting at the northern port... 'The Lourians intend to mobilize all citizens of the capital for resistance. Requesting support attacks on all potentially threatening facilities from the sea at 0700 hours.' ...Also, prepare for the assault on the heavily defended Jin-Haark Castle in the capital. Issue deployment orders to all helicopter and armored units. Operation commencement time will be at 0700 hours, synchronized with the naval support attack."

With armed soldiers at the ready, Nishi issued the attack orders. The curtain rose on the siege of Jin-Hark.

A clash of civilizations.