Chapter 74

Chapter 74

I walked towards the front door. Ya Allah, please, let it go well. I have all of my trust in you, please, You are the only one that could give me strength and help. For the sake of Karim's future, please shine on us today. I prayed before pressing on the doorbell. I didn't know why I came here. I just wanted to do it before I was going to follow my plan. This would be the last time they would see me. I grabbed my courage together and pressed on the doorbell. The sound of it was like how I was used to it. A little melody that was always freaking us out because it was so loud. The doorbell that I pressed the whole time when mum was so busy she couldn't even open the door. The doorbell that I used when I came home from playing outside. A few seconds later, the door opened, and he stood in front of me. He had gotten bigger. He started growing a beard which made him look older and even more handsome. He was shocked when he saw me and his eyes widened.

"Why.. Why are you here?" he said while stuttering. He was still looking at me confused and shocked that I thought that he was thinking it was a dream. He hadn't done anything wrong. The thing I was hurt the most about was that they used Maher to get to me. Maher was the one that first believed in me. They brainwashed him after they saw he was standing up for me. Then, then he just started beating me up too, just like they did. As if they were punishing me for something I didn't do.

"Is everyone home?" I asked him. That made him come back to his senses. His face changed immediately to an angry one and he frowned at me.

"Go away" he said and wanted to close the door but I pushed so hard that he couldn't.

"Let me in, this will be the last chance for you guys to hear me" I said, while still pushing. Surprisingly, he opened the door, not understanding why I said that. I just stepped inside and took my shoes off. The smell of the house hit me and brought back so many memories. My eyes started to tear. I missed the smell so much. I looked in front of me. The pictures that they put on the wall were gone, replaced by a huge mirror. My mum had put me and Maher's childhood pictures there but they were all gone. I looked around. The walls were painted, there were new furnitures. I walked into the living room and the brightness of it hit me. The walls used to be a champagne color, now replaced with plain white that made the room look bigger. I saw them there, sitting on the sofa. When they looked my way and saw me, they stood up, being shocked. They looked older and the hair of my dad was grey now. They looked at each other, before looking at me. My dad stepped forward, being angry as usual.

"Get out of my house, now!" he yelled while walking over to me. He grabbed me by my arm and even though it did hurt, I was happy with the physical touch. He was my dad after all. I jerked my arm back.

"No! This is the last time you will ever hear from me. The last time you will ever see me. So be an adult and stop pushing me away. You need to listen to me!" I yelled back. Mum was just standing there, tears already formed in her eyes. My dad made fists, as if he was trying to control himself. Maher was behind me, doing nothing but listening.

"I didn't come here to ask for your forgiveness, since I don't need to. I didn't do anything wrong" I said, which made my dad take a step forward. He was about to say something but Maher beat him to it.

"Dad, just listen, after that she can go whereever she wants to" he said that hurt me. Maher used to be my best friend, my brother that I could count at. He would protect me from the bad guys at school and would beat the ones up who asked me out. He was there for me when I had peed in my bed again after mum said she would beat me if I did it again. He was there for me when I was growing up, growing up along with me.

"She has nothing to say. She has no right to speak. She disrespected us, and she will never belong here again. She is not my daugther anymore" he said but I blocked it out. I knew that if I would let it get to me, I wouldn't be able to talk. I took a deep breath, remembering that I did this for Karim. I took his picture out of my bag, and showed them by holding it up.