Chapter thirty nine - But it's Christmas.

Mycroft and Sherlock had went outside to have a cigarette without their mother finding out. It was funny really, they were in some ways like children, but in other ways they wasn't.

I walked towards another room and saw Mrs and Mr Holmes walking out.

"Ah, Holland" Sherlock's father smiled sweetly, "Im afraid we cant go in there. John and Mary and talking."

"Its alright." I smile back, "Have Sherlock or Mycroft came in yet?"

"No dear, i believe they-" Mrs Holmes stops talking when she notices something outside the window, and rushes towards the door and opens it. I take a couple steps forward so i could see, "Are you two smoking?!"

I chuckle as Sherlock and Mycroft rapidly spin around to face her, frantically holding their cigarettes behind their backs as they look guiltily at her.

"No!" Mycroft says, and Sherlock speaks at as well, almost simultaneously.

"It was Mycroft!"

She gives them a suspicious look, then closes the door and turns to face me. "They act like children. The pair of them."

I laugh, "Must of been hard, raising both of them."

"Sweetie, wait until you get children of your own." She chuckles, and we start walking towards the kitchen, "You must let me babysit though."

"I don't think i'd have children, if im honest."

She gives me a look, "Don't say that! Trust me, you will some day!" She nudges my shoulder and gives me a smile, and i smile back. Suddenly, Mycroft walked into the room, then i took this as my cue to find Sherlock.

I see him by the front door and walk over to him, "Heya."

"Come on." He grabs my hand, and drags me into the room where John and Mary were. Mary was passed out on the chair and John was checking to see what was wrong with her.

He lets go of my hand once we were in there, "Don’t drink Mary’s tea." He then turns and leaves again, grabbing his scarf from the peg as he goes. "Oh, or the punch."

Me and John stare at each other for a slight second, before he checked on his wife once more. We then left and followed Sherlock. We walked into another room as saw Mr Holmes lying on his back on the sofa with his eyes closed. Sherlock holds his hand over his father’s nose to check that he’s breathing normally, then continues on wards. We follow him into the room as Sherlock heads into the kitchen, where Mrs Holmes is asleep in the chair where Sherlock had previously sat, and Mycroft is slumped on a dining chair with his head on the kitchen table and his eyes closed.

"What did you put in the punch?" I finally ask. 

"Just something to help them sleep while we sneak out." Sherlock holds the back of his hand to his mother’s nose to check her breathing, then walks past Bill, who is standing nearby, and goes over to the kitchen table.

"Did you just drug my pregnant wife?" John questions, his eyes following Sherlock's figure as he walks around. Sherlock checks Mycroft's breathing.

"Don’t worry. Wiggins is an excellent chemist."

"I calculated your wife’s dose myself. Won’t affect the little one. I’ll keep an eye on ’er." Bill says. 

"He’ll monitor their recovery. It’s more or less his day job." Sherlock puts his scarf on. Me and John are just staring at him. 

"What the hell have you done?" I inquire. Today was going well. Of course he wouldn't bring us to his parents for a Christmas meal unless he was planning something. We should have known, really.

Sherlock looks down reflectively and takes a moment to reply, "A deal with the devil."

John turns away from him, then turns back, "Oh, Jesus." He walks away, while Sherlock looks down at his unconscious brother. John goes into the next door sitting room, probably to look at his father, then he returns, "Sherlock, please tell me you haven’t just gone out of your mind."

Sherlock bends down and takes the silver-grey laptop from the table, pulling it from under where Mycroft has one hand resting on it. "I’d rather keep you guessing." 

"Wait, isn't that the laptop Mycroft quoted that 'depends the security of the free world'?" I ask. Sherlock nods and smirks, and i roll my eyes. A helicopter can then be heard and Sherlock smiles.

"Ah. There’s our lift."

We then all go outside. Me and John walk down the path with Sherlock behind us holding the laptop under his left arm and a coat in his right hand. We goes through the gate as the helicopter lands in a field in front of the Sherlock's parents home. 

"Coming?" Sherlock asks, walking to our side.

"Where?" John looks at him with a stern look.

"D’you want your wife to be safe?"

"Yeah, of course I do."

"Good, because this is going to be incredibly dangerous. One false move and we’ll have betrayed the security of the United Kingdom and be in prison for high treason. Magnussen is quite simply the most dangerous man we’ve ever encountered, and the odds are comprehensively stacked against us."

Oh of course it would be about Magnussen. Could we not have a peaceful day on Christmas? "But it's Christmas." I say indignantly. Sherlock smiles.

"I feel the same." He turns and see's mine and Johns expressions. His smile fades, "Oh, you mean it’s actually Christmas." Sherlock sighs and faces John, "Did you bring your gun as I suggested?"

"Why would I bring my gun to your parents house for Christmas dinner?!" John snaps. Sherlock holds out Johns coat in his hand.

"Is it in your coat?"

"Yes." He rolls his eyes and takes his coat of Sherlock.

"Off we go, then."  Sherlock begins, then we start walking towards the helicopter.

"Where are we going?" I ask, just before we go inside. Sherlock turns his head towards me as we walk.

"Appledore."