Bound By Law || 8- Call Me Maybe

"Hey, Karishma right?"

Turning around, my eyes met with the guy named Gavin from the other night. He jogged over towards me. I was, once again, walking by myself whilst Jai did his own thing. This time, I was walking alongside the swimming pool that was outside the hotel.

He soon began walking beside me but we were both silent. We walked over to the vacant chairs under the huge umbrellas that hid us from the blaring sun.

"So, are you here in Goa alone?" he asked, sliding down and placing his arms behind his head, getting comfortable.

"I—no," I began awkwardly, "I'm actually on my honeymoon." I fumbled with my shawl as soon as I saw Gavin snap his head towards me from my peripheral vision.

He then sat up straight, peering at me with a sceptical look.

"Hold on, let me get this straight; you're here for your honeymoon but your husband isn't here?"

"Well, he's here," I quickly clarified, "just..not with me." I peeked a glance at Gavin from under my eyelashes, who had an eyebrow raised.

"It's kind of complicated," I trailed off and he nodded, not pushing it any further.

"Hey, Gavin, come on!"

We both turned to look behind his shoulder and saw two guys gesturing for him to go to them.

I shot him a questioning look and he flashed me a forced smile.

He shoved his hands in his black jeans, as he looked up at me from his blonde hair, flopping over his eyes.

"I'm, uh, actually leaving. That's why I came to find you."

"Leaving?" I repeated, shocked. In the short time I knew him, he made me feel more welcome than the man that was supposed to be my husband. "So soon?"

He chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, I've been here for a month. I took a break from work and yeah, it's about time I head back."

"Oh."

If I was being honest with myself, I was disappointed. I had made a friend and here he was, already leaving.

Everyone in my life seems to eventually leave...

I resisted the urge to laugh sarcastically at my own remark and smiled at Gavin, genuinely.

"Well, I hope you have a safe flight home."

"And I hope you have a great time here with your non-existent husband," he said with a wink.

It didn't register in my head that he was joking until he reached out and patted my head, gently with a chuckle.

That gesture of affection ultimately caused me to let out a little timid laugh.

He then held out his hand and I stared at it, confused, but he reached out and grabbed my hand, shaking it.

Before pulling his hand out of mine, he placed a piece of paper in it before winking at me and walking away.

"Wait, excuse me!" I called out after him but he only lifted a hand up in a wave, not looking back as he walked on, his figure disappearing.