Bound by Law || 46- Moving Forwards: Jai's POV

They were here.

My fucking parents were here because of Karishma. Honestly, I didn't know whether to thank her or get mad at her at first, but now all I wanted to do was thank her.

I watched as my dad broke down in front of me, apologising for all the shit he'd done.

This is all I've ever wanted.

And I couldn't believe I was actually getting it. Never in a thousand years did I imagine this would be happening to me.

My eyes glanced to my mom, who was crying her heart out and I sighed, regretfully, not being able to stop my heart from caring about the two people in front of me.

I wanted to hate them—I really bloody did, but I couldn't.

"Honey, I'm so sorry for never telling your dad...being afraid of him wasn't an excuse, I know."

She covered her face with her trembling hands and I shook my head, glancing away.

"I understand, mom." Reaching up with a hand, I rubbed the back of my neck, awkwardly. "Don't cry, please. That was...all in the past. All I'd ever wanted was your love, you know? And I never got it but I learnt to deal with it."

I shrugged, trying not to let the pain in my chest show through my face.

There was no way I was going to let myself fucking bawl my eyes out like a kid–which I knew I would if I let one single tear slip.

My dad, who was silent, spoke up.

"We've always loved you. I never showed it because I was blinded by greed and perfection. Your anger and hate and neglect towards us made me realise how much it hurt to not have you in our life. Honestly, I wouldn't have even admitted it if it wasn't for your wife. And so, if you'll let us–I mean, if you don't, we'll understand," he rushed out, glancing at mom, "but if it's okay, we'd like to...start over with you. Show you how much we love you and become a real family again, just like how your Gran wanted."

I wasn't gonna forgive them that quick–a part of me didn't want to at all–but I wanted things to change.

For me, for Karishma—for our future child to actually know their grandparents.

And...I would be lying if I said I didn't want to spend more time with them.

I let out a disbelieving chuckle and nodded reluctantly.

This was happening.

It wasn't a dream.

"Yeah, uh–" I ran a hand through my hair. We were going to be a real family—for my Gran. "–I'd love that."

My dad and I both got up and reached out to hug, tentatively. Not that it wasn't awkward as fuck–but it was nice.

I hadn't been hugged like that by my dad, not even when I was a child.

He sniffled on my shoulder and I tightened my hold on him, clenching my jaw to try and stop myself from crying.

From my peripheral vision, I spotted my mom sobbing as she took in the scene of the both of us.

And then, I lost it.

We cried, not only for us, but for my Gran and for Aman.

It felt both good and weird to be hugging my dad.

And never in a million years did I think it would be because of Karishma.

Oh, how I love that woman.