Bound by Law || 26- His Doings

It'd been a couple of days after the party, and Jai and I were still at it with the silent treatment. He did try to apologise and talk to me a couple of times afterwards but always stopped himself, puzzling me, but I never went to ask.

I was grateful that he had helped me at the party, but he was mad at me after that. Yet, he never told me why, and the next day, he wasn't particularly angry at me anymore.

When I tried to talk to him, he would ignore me as if I wasn't there so I stopped trying.

His mood swings and his different attitude towards me was mind-boggling but I couldn't find the courage to ask him what exactly happened for the change.

Jai was always more mature than me, so I figured he probably would have shrugged the matter off as something that wasn't as important. Yet, the need to find out why he was angry still burned within me.

My thoughts instantly drifted towards Gavin, and I let out a soft sigh. I had gotten a call from Gavin last night, who profusely apologised and said that he had ended up getting a ride from a friend to our house, and then left after deliberating whether or not to apologise to us in the middle of the night.

I didn't want to but I had forgiven him. A part of me hated him. That part of me was still angry at the fact that he wasn't a true friend.

He had left me alone and made me dance with a drunk man, disappearing without a word soon after and he thought a simple sorry could fix it.

If it wasn't for Jai...

I shivered in fear, the hair on my arm sticking up as I broke into a cold sweat.

When I had asked Gavin about why he left me alone and about how I scared I was, he had said that he ended up leaving because Dewey and Nicolette took him towards the drinks table, distracting him, and so he wasn't paying attention.

At the time, he sounded genuine and so I ended up accepting his apology. But it was only after the call that I knew I couldn't really trust Gavin.

The party incident helped me realise that Jai was indeed right and that people weren't all that they seem.

But Gavin was my friend, after all, and I really didn't want to believe that he left me deliberately.

"Karishma? Honey?" My mother's voice rang through my ears and I jumped slightly, forgetting that I had called her like I did every morning. "How are things going with Jai, honey?"

I swallowed hard, wanting to tell her the truth, but not wanting to disappoint her either.

"Things are going well Ma. We're getting along quite well."

"Oh my, that's great news, honey! Is he treating you right?"

No.

"Yes, of course. He's changed a lot from the time we first met."

"Oho, I see. So," she started off eagerly, "when will your father and I get to meet our grandkids?"

I coughed, choking on my own saliva.

"Ma, what are you saying? Don't say that!"

"What do you mean, honey?" She chuckled teasingly, "It's natural."

"No, I mean—oh, uh, I actually need to go, Ma. Jai wants something from me," I said, trying to change the subject in a nervous wreck.

"Oh, okay honey, go tend to your husband. We'll talk tomorrow."

After ending the call, I placed my phone on the bedside table. My Ma could be too much sometimes; she couldn't really read the situation well, even if things made me uncomfortable, she would continue talking about it.