Bound by Law || 34- No Choice

Five minutes before 3, I walked down the stairs to the front door, but I was stopped.

"Where are you going?"

I knew he wouldn't approve of me meeting Gavin by myself but I wanted to ask a few questions myself. This way, I could show Jai that I could handle things like this as well and that he could rely on me.

"I'll be back soon," I mumbled after hesitating. There was also a part of me that wanted to apologise and to explain my actions from earlier but he looked like he didn't care. He just turned away and looked at his laptop, glasses on and face stern.

I let out a sigh and walked out to where we had said we'd meet.

Upon seeing Gavin in a black tank top standing up near the bench instead of sitting, I called out to him as I walked closer.

"Gavin?"

He whipped around, his blonde hair swaying to the side at the momentum of his turn. As he turned to me, his blue eyes brightened and a small trace of a smile appeared.

"I'm gonna get straight to the point, alroight?" he began, looking at me doubtfully before continuing, "I really like you."

Huh?

"I like you too Gavin. You're my friend," I said softly and hesitantly.

After the whole fiasco where he accused Jai, I didn't know if I could or should consider him my friend...but I didn't want to be rude.

He squeezed his eyes shut in exasperation and shook his head as if my answer didn't satisfy.

"That's not what I'm saying."

He opened his eyes and the sternness in his eyes made me gulp inaudibly.

"I'm saying I love you."

My whole body tensed and my eyes widened as I stared at Gavin.

This was a bad idea. What was I thinking?!

"What? Gavin, you can't—"

"I know this is wrong," he shook his head and his lips set in a thin line, "but I can't help how I feel."

Shocked at the turn of events, I took a cautious step back. "Uh, I don't know what you're trying to do here Gavin. We're just friends."

Gavin stepped towards me, his face expressing utter panic.

"I'm not trying to do anything. I haven't felt this way in a long freaking time. I can be a shit head sometimes but that's because I'm just oblivious. Please, just...we can run away together and be happy," he said in a hushed tone as if someone was here and he was afraid of being caught.

I shook my head frantically, suddenly afraid of the manic, desperate look in his eyes.

"I'll take you around Australia! Remember, when we first met, you sai–"

"No, Gavin, this is entirely wrong! I'm married and Jai–"

"Who gives a shit about him?!" he yelled, causing me to jump and stare at him in horror. "He doesn't treat you right, and only cares about Aisha! You deserve so much better. You—you deserve love, and I can give you that," he said, his voice cracking.

As he talked, I took steps backwards in a frantic panic. I observed the dejected look on his face as he watched me step away from him.

"Let's just run away. It's for the best," he urged again with hopelessness, his voice weak.

Why is he acting this way?

A part of me already knew the answer to that. There were so many signs that I had blatantly ignored because I wanted to see the good in him.