Bound by Law || 27- Overwhelming Surprises

Jai stood there, sporting a bloody lip. Blood trickled down his eyebrow and it left a trail as it slid down his right cheek.

He had a small bruise on his cheek that was turning slightly purple and his white shirt was marginally stained with what looked like small droplets of blood.

Ignoring my cry of horror, Jai angrily chucked the car keys on the table. What baffled me was that he didn't look to be in any pain at all–just very mad.

Jai went straight towards the kitchen, his eyes ablaze and his hair disheveled.

"J-Jai, what did you do?" I cried, following him like a lost puppy, wanting answers.

Jai gulped down a glass of water before placing his hands on the sink in front of him. He leaned forward and took soft breaths in and out, the anger radiating off of him as he made a visible effort to control himself.

"Leave. me. alone." His words, spoken in a low and even tone, were laced with a warning.

But, I didn't want to leave him when he was hurt. Who knew if he'd do anything to stop his cuts from getting infected?

The cut on his lip could be healed with the first aid kit. I didn't have to know what he did, but I wanted to help.

Stepping closer, I put a hand on his back but he shrugged it off and whirled around, startling me.

Jai stared me down fiercely. His jaw tensed and his eyes hardened as the fire in them flashed a warning. I ignored him, reaching up to touch his chin instead of his lips; touching his lips would be very... intimate in my eyes.

The physical contact made the both of us freeze. Anything to do with physical contact made me panic. Though, there was that day he had caught me off-guard by hugging me.

He pushed me away roughly soon after; the hug then seemed to just be because I was the only person there who he could hug to find comfort.

But, this was...different.

After the incident, I was extremely wary of physical contact, but just a feather-light touch against his skin, made me feel slightly different. Like I didn't need to be scared.

The warmth that radiated off of his skin and the contact between us, was enough to make me jump.

Jai's hard eyes softened. I tore my eyes away, daring not to look into his eyes. I was embarrassed whenever his gaze, that wasn't one filled with anger, met mine.

Instead, I fixed my eyes on his chin.

I mumbled with a frown, "Your lip is bleeding."

Due to the silence, my eyes trailed up from his chest and to his eyes slowly in hesitation. He was watching me incessantly, my stomach jolting at his gaze. I quickly looked away, fumbling with my shawl.

"I'll get the first aid kit."

"I don't nee–"

"Yes, you do!"

In a tidal wave of confidence, I grabbed his arm and dragged him towards the living room. I pushed down on his shoulders to make him sit down on the sofa.