Bound by Law || 11 - Forgive and Forget

"Sweetie, what happened with you and Jai?" Geena aunty asked as she walked into the kitchen where I was making some masala dosas.

My shoulders tensed up at the mention of his name and I sighed. I had been ignoring him for two weeks.

At first, he didn't care and he did his own thing, occasionally mumbling things to me, and I did nothing but nod.

Now realising that I was going to be persistent, surprisingly, he'd been trying to get me to talk to him, occasionally apologising for some reason.

I knew he didn't want me in his life and by not talking, I wasn't invading his personal business.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I realized we were only here for another week before we had to go to America.

I ended up being forced by his parents and mine, to go to America with him because his whole life was there. I was forced to let go of mine in order to move on with his.

Why is this only happening to me?

"Nothing Geena aunty," I said, not wanting to worry her. "Just...some misunderstandings, is all."

She raised an eyebrow as she came closer, watching me cook. "I've noticed that there's some tension between you two. The fight you two had weeks ago seemed...troubling."

I said nothing and sniffled, my eyes welling up with tears again. She placed her hand under my chin and tilted it up so I was looking at her.

"Are you okay, honey?"

"I'm okay Geena aunty," I said tearfully, my voice breaking.

She tutted and came around to embrace me tightly.

"Don't cry. I know Jai can be tough to be around but he really does have a big heart. He'll come around, don't worry."

I wanted to believe her, but he didn't seem like the type to have a big heart.

Jai was just a cruel, rude man.

I didn't say anything to Geena aunty and just hugged her, placing my chin on her shoulder.

She rubbed my back before I pulled away and turned back to cooking some noodles. I could hear Geena aunty letting out a sorrowful sigh before shuffling away.

There was a few minutes of peaceful silence where I took my time in arranging my thoughts and cooking some food. But that's when Jai strolled in, possibly to grab something to eat.

Ignoring his presence, I continued to cut the onions, my eyes stinging and welling up with tears as I did so because of the onions.

Jai's footsteps suddenly stopped next to me. He cleared his throat, but I pretended I didn't see or hear him.

I know it was a childish move, but he deserved it.

"Karishma." Jai's husky voice rang through my ears.

I turned to chuck the chopped onions onto the heated pan, my back to him. I heard the faintest sound of him sighing in exasperation.