Bound by Law || 10- Hurting Hearts

"I can't take her to America," Jai snapped, not even bothering to whisper.

"Why can't you?"

He scoffed, his tone expressing agitation. "I'm the COO of our company. An eligible bachelor. No one knows I got married."

"Then, tell your friends. They'll understand."

"I don't even understand the point of this marriage so do you really think they would? For god's sake, it's a bloody arranged marriage!"

"Quiet, Jai, she'll hear you," Geena aunty hissed.

It was too late. I was in 'our' room and I could hear everything. I was contemplating calling my Ma, to share how hurt I was but knowing her, I knew she would try to be fair and give support for Jai as well.

Sighing, I looked out the window as I sat on the cushioned seat placed alongside it. I watched the droplets of rain slide down the window, almost mocking me as the tears slid down my cheeks as well.

It was like a scene from a cliche romantic movie, where the heroine would stare out the window as it rained and her knight in shining armour came to her rescue.

But, that wasn't the case with me.

I was just plain pathetic.

Aman, why'd you leave me? Now...I'm stuck with Jai and he hates me.

I bit my lip, trying to stop a sob from escaping my lips, the chatter and arguments from downstairs quietening down.

The door opened slightly, a stream of light entering the slightly dim-lot room. Turning my head, Jai stared at me, expressionless.

"You're coming to America with me in three weeks," he said, with no emotion whatsoever.

He went to close the door when I stopped him, my voice cracking.

"What if I don't want to come? Don't I have a say in this?"

He didn't turn to face me but his whole body turned stiff. I could see from where I was sitting that his hold on the door knob tightened in anger.

"No," he spat, "you don't. And apparently, neither do I."

He then slammed the door behind him. I was mad at him. I wanted to run after him and slap him until he couldn't feel his cheeks.

But I was a coward and I would never do that, to anyone, no matter how much I wanted to.

Wiping my cheeks, I stepped out to the silent room, seeing my mother-in-law silently work in the kitchen when normally, she was very bubbly and cheery.

"Geena aunty, let me cook," I said, reaching out for the pan that was in her shaky hands.

"Oh." she turned to look at me with her tired brown eyes. "Thanks honey, but it's alright." I instantly felt bad that I wasn't there to help her before.

"No, I'm serious Geena aunty." Placing a hand on her shoulder, I smiled at her lovingly. "You look tired, you should get some rest."

Smiling in exhaustion, she placed a hand on my cheek in an affectionate manner before slowly walking towards her room.

I decided to forget about everything while I cooked. It would be the only time I'd be able to recollect all the memories of what had happened and to think about my life.

As I thought of several other things, I got out the flour and all the vegetables to make a dish that I loved to eat with my family.

Smiling as I cooked, my heart suddenly dropped when a shadow blocked the natural light in front.