...39...

Stefan's POV

Alfred and I drove home in silence and my eyes widen as I saw the car of the vet in the driveway. I felt my worry grow. Alfred barely parked before I jumped out of the car and ran towards the stable and to Mezza's place. She was laying on the floor slightly covered with sweat. I dropped on my knees next to her.

"Mezza. Girl I'm right here." I said and petted her head gently. "What's wrong with her?"

"We don't know." My father said. The vet kneeled down beside me and put a needle in Mezzanottes neck. She huffed and I stroke her heated skin. The vet collected blood in tubes and then pulled the needle out. He took a urine test and then he stood up.

"I will go back to the lab and test this and then I will call you and tell you the results." He said and left. My father laid an comforting hand on my shoulder before going into the house.

"Are you coming inside with us?" Alfred asked. I looked at him and shook my head.

"I'll stay here and look after her." I said. He nodded.

"I'll come with food for you sir." He then left to the house and I was alone with Mezzanotte. I sat against the wall and petted her.

"Just me and you girl." I whispered.

Alfred came with dinner for me at 7 pm. He put the plate on the floor.

"How is she now?" He asked.

"Better I think.. I think she heated up because she got stressed about all the people around her. She has cooled down now." I said. "She still doesn't look too good though."

"She will be okay." Alfred said. I nodded to him. He left again and I slowly ate my turkey. I looked at Mezzanotte.

"Hey girl, do you want some salad?" I asked and placed the plate in front of her. She began eating it slowly. I giggled. "Good girl." I grabbed my bread and split it in two. I gave her a piece when she was done with the salad and ate the other one myself.

I heard ringing which made Mezzanottes ears move around to listen. I recognized the melody from my phone and I picked up.

"Stefan Salvatore." I said.

"Hi Stefan, it's dr. Bandy, How is Mezzanotte now?" I was absolutely relieved to hear the voice of the vet.

"Her temperature is back to normal and she has appetite."

"Okay. Well I got the test results. Your horse is 3 months pregnant." He announced. I was speechless.

"Oh uhm.. okay.. uhm thank you." I said and hung up. I looked at Mezzanotte. She did look thicker when I thought about it.

"When were you planning on telling me that you are pregnant?" I asked her jokingly. I then stood up, grabbed the plate and ran inside.

"Father! Alfred! Mezzanotte is pregnant! She's having a foal in 8 months!" I yelled through the house.