Chapter 87 - The Calm Before the Storm

Join my discord to keep updated:

https://discord.gg/ffVV7cV

Want to support DSG? Want more chapters? Join me on Patreon by following the link below:

www.patreon.com/ShadowsFinger

*****

It was a great day today at Matuk's tribe, as a festive atmosphere was roaming the area. The oppressive rain unable to shroud its mood, groups of Ghoulfiends had gathered together once more as they danced around a central white pillar with unique runic markings. 

If one looked carefully, they would notice that the surface of this pillar was almost filled up with runic markings. A small portion of this pillar was left blank, as a semi-transparent marking was slowly beginning to form over this section.

The rhythmic beats of tribal-like drums, adding to the vibrant mood of the area.  

As these Ghoulfiends danced, they would circle the central pillar of light and stretched their hands out at different segments of the beat. Within a synchronous shout, "Our!" Their dark energies would flow from their palms and shoot towards the pillar adding further to its already brilliant luminance.

Not too far away from these Ghoulfiends, was a large platform that seemed to have recently been made of collected wood and stone. Before it was a large pit a few meters wide, the pale and dry corpses of a few creatures and fiends could be noticed inside each dried out as if they had been drained of both there essences and their blood.

Looking at the large platform, one would see a dark, towering figure with a very muscular body. Seated on top of a large chair made of stone with a viciously designed battle axe resting by his side. Standing patiently around his form were a group of Elite Ghoulfiends along with a familiar Hunting Squad Leader who looked at the scene before his eyes in excitement.

A well-armored Elder Ghoulfiend stood quietly before the towering figure seated on the stone 'throne,' a glint of hatred will be hidden within his eyes as he politely spoke to the figure, "Great Tribe Chief! We are approaching the final stages of the ancient Ascension Pillars Ritual. With a few more hours, the final divine mark will descend allowing you to gain access to inheritance."

Matuk hearing the Elder Ghoulfiend's words frowned slightly as he tapped his large fingers on the arms rests of his stone throne, after short while he spoke, "Janus! You'd better be right, for if you cause this ritual fall short. You will be losing more than your fiend tribe this time! Now get to work!"

Janus hearing this gripped his fists tightly as the black blood flowed and dropped on the ground, he responded, "As the Tribe Leader wishes!" 

Quickly, he made his way over to the ritual podium and started to chant in a strange, obscure tongue. As if sensing the change, the energies from the Ghoulfiends along with the remaining strengths from the corpses in the pit, flowed towards the pillar in larger streams, causing the speed of the mark's condensation to slightly increase.

Matuk nodded his head in a slightly excited mood as he noticed the change. However, he frowned while thinking back to the human he let escape, "That damn human! If those other annoying tribes don't find you by the time I'm done with this ritual, hmph! You'd best be prepared to feel my ra---"

As Matuk was about to finish his thoughts, the calm and exciting scene of the tribe soon came to an end. Disrupted by an unusual oppression, this kind of pressure was different from the heavy mood usually caused by the endless rain. It was more of a 'murderous intent' that assaulted the festive atmosphere.