0 | 9 ~ "Sitting on top of me"

Scarlett huffed out a breath as she slammed her bedroom door and fell face first onto her bed. Hinges screamed in protest, but she didn't bother to check if they held tight after her brutal handling.

She just hated this mission. No, hate was not a strong enough word to use and loathed sounded more appropriate. Not only was she being controlled by orders given from a very arrogant gang leader, but she also had to keep herself from slitting their throats and running a bullet through each and every one of their atupid little heads.

If they had known she was the famous Scarletstroke they would defenitely not be talking to her like that. Instead she would be the one barking out orders, playing the part of the dominant and striking fear into their little hearts.

Scarlett reached over the side of her bed for a small backpack she always carried around, even on missions. Sitting upright, she positioned it between her two legs and rummaged inside, looking for the one thing that kept her bind to her unwelcoming past- a photo album hidden in a small ziploc pocket on the side.

The book was bigger than her palm, but smaller than her hand. Just like everything else she possessed, it was black, but with family encrusted in gold on the cover, almost in a majestic font. The letter 'm' would look more like an 'n' to unfamiliar eyes from old age, but to Scarlett the word was clear as day, printed into her mind rather than just on the cover.

Groaning, she threw the book to the other side of her bed, out of reach before rolling over and standing up to make her way to the joining bathroom. It wasn't long now before they would set the mission into action so Cayden had told everyone to start getting ready for tonight. Scarlett was planning on wearing something simple, but Cayden had other thoughts and told her that a dress will be more suitable for their destination and it will be delivered to her room.

The water was finally the right temperature for her to undress and enter the shower. With droplets making a slow path down her body, her mind drifted elsewhere.

James.

Now that she thought about it, he also looked kind of familiar to her. If he had been one of her targets before, she would have remembered him completely, but instead it was his name that brought back memories.

***

Little Scarlett felt a tear slip from the corner of her right eye. She didn't care to wipe it off. She let it be, too scared to make any sudden movements. It made a thin, wet trail down her cheek, the same cheek her father had just hit.

"Go to your room and pack your bags, now!" He hissed, emphasising each word as his anger only amplified.

Little Scarlett scurried upstairs without another word, rummaging around her room as quick as possible to try and throw the needed necessities into her very small bag.

Stopping by her pink bedside table, she slowly opened the drawer before retrieving a little black book she got as a birthday present last year from her parents. It held so many happy memories, Little Scarlett couldn't help but to hug it tight to her chest as she placed it with absolute care on top of the clothing that was propped up into her bag.

Zipping the bag closed, she made sure to flatten out the wrinkles on her frilly skirt before making her way downstairs.

When she was at the last step, her bag was ripped from her hands with force by one of the men while the other one grabbed her arm, dragging her to the front door.

For the very last time, Little Scarlett turned her head around and gave the man she thought was her loving father a hopeful glance, but he just scoffed and turned his head away in disgust. Seeing this, Little Scarlett sniffed and turned around, following the men as she accepted her faith.