1 | 4 ~ Beast in the sheets

Scarlett narrowed her eyes in the direction the man and woman were walking after they climbed out of the black vehicle. She was situated behind a tall stack of crates, probably filled with all types of drugs and weapons, near an abandoned looking warehouse.

With William's help, they had managed to hack into the neighbourhood's security cameras while following obvious tracks and found out exactly who was responsible for the late night visit. Though, as soon as her eyes caught sight of familiar streaks of red hair on the camera view, a lot of nostalgic memories followed.

It didn't stop there though, because Scarlett needed more proof before she could believe her own eyes and now that her ex-best friend was standing only about twenty feet away from her, she didn't know what to do or how to react.

She have done espionage before for private people, but that was when it was part of a mission where she knew exactly what to do next.

Ironically, for her nostalgia usually had a positive connotation, but in this situation the nostalgia was more negative in that it centred around conflict between best friends; ex-best friends.

I can not do it, not yet anyway. Scarlett sighed and activated the safety switch on her handgun again before turning around to face William, only to find the nerd nowhere in sight.

"What the-"

A stinging sensation errupted in her neck and when she felt what it was, her hand came back with a small, red tranquilizer dart.

"Thought I smelled a rat nearby," a voice said from behind Scarlett.

Great, my favourite person in the entire world. She thought Sarcastically before turning around with the last bit of energy and meeting the eyes of the marksman with her own. Fear spiderwebbed throughout every vein in her body for the first time since her brother was taken and her throat suddenly felt like the desert itself.

"Dominique... It is hardly becoming to speak of your own species in such a cruel manner."

A sadistic smile twisted the redhead's lips as she brought the tranquilizer gun to her side. "Good evening, Scarlett. Long time no see. We defenitely have a lot of catching up to do, don't you think?"

Memories of Scarlett's preparation with this woman before her came and went like the tide, leaving her vision to blur even more as she tried picking up all the small fragments.

"I am so sorry, I thought-" Scarlett tried explaining her past as clear as possible, but it only came out as a whispering struggle. Why do I feel like no matter how hard I try to explain this, I am getting kidnapped tonight either way?

"Save it," Dominique spat, bringing her leg up to Scarlett's side and kicking her over on her back. "At least until after the torture I'm about to put you through."

A shiver rolled down her spine like a mischievious ice cube. Words like that had a way of conjuring challenges. The universe, especially, loved giving Scarlett exactly what she didn't ask for.

Her vision went black.

***

If Scarlett had known her actions would have caused so much trouble for her and William she would have never tracked or followed that black car. I mean maybe she still would have done it out of curiosity, because she is sort of a major hypocrite, but she is another human being after all - Like William stated on their ride to Cayden's club.

"Ugh, my head is killing me." Scarlett moaned later that night as she came back to consciousness and tried bringing her hands up to massage her temple, but found them bound tight together with ropes behind her back.