3 | 1

"So, tell me something about you." Grace Brooks said as she placed a cup of steaming hot tea in front of Scarlett's view on a brown, wooden surface.

She mentally noted that it was a large wooden barrel that was once filled with Scotch Whiskey according to the black labeling on its side. Now it seemed to mimic a poor attempt of a coffee table.

"What do you want to know?" Scarlett asked her, reaching for the cup before slowly bringing it to her lips.

"Well, everything to be honest!" She stood up with profound speed and positioned her hands on her hips as she gave Scarlett a bright smile.

Scarlett coughed as the hot liquid slid down her throat, not very familiar with the beverage, but still kept her eyes locked on her mother.

"Stop." She finally managed to wheeze out between coughs, deciding that it would be best to place the cup of tea back on the table so that it could cool down for a bit. "You do not have any right to try and play the motherly role. You never will have that right."

Grace's smile faltered as she stared down at her feet in shame. Scarlett took that as her chance to fully inspect her mother's physical features.

Primarily, she was the person who gave birth to her so the woman standing before her had a face that resembled her own in many ways and also the one she saw in the variety of "family pictures" in the album only days before. She still hadn't put in the effort to figure out for exactly how long she'd been held by Christopher and Leonardo, but she honestly couldn't care less. It wasn't her first priority right now.

Grace's face was a bit more oval than hers, but the softly waving light brown hair around it was identical. Well, as identical as it could get to her natural hair colour that was now slightly noticeable at her roots. No doubt that she would make a much needed hair appointment after this little family reunion. 

The small, straight nose was also the same model she was born with. Her mother's mouth was closed, yet there was just the slightest hint of a frown on her full lips. Scarlett didn't know how, but she just knew that if she smiled, she would show the same wide grin and down curving "smile lines" that appeared in her own reflection.  

The most haunting features, however, was her eyes. Scarlett couldn't see them now as Grace was making it known quite desperately that she was ashamed of her past choices, but she had given herself the much needed opportunity earlier in her visit to inspect her mother's eyes with deeper concentration than what was normal.

They were exact duplicates of her own large, green ones.  Her brows were plucked into thin lines, which were like two pencil strokes added to highlight those fine, luminous eyes.

The similarities was quite fascinating. Yet, Scarlett still didn't know if she quite wanted to hate or like this new found information. It felt more strange than anything else considering she never saw this woman throughout her entire life and now it was exactly like staring into a mirror at her very own reflection.

She shook her head to clear the haze thatw as forming in her mind just in time to hear her mother murmuring something inaudible.

"What?" She asked, her full attention now focused back on their previous conversation.

"I said," Grace cleared her throat before raising her head to finally meet a pair of similar eyes. A frown was still present on her beautiful features and Scarlett shoved the little bit of guilt that was starting to gnaw at her away. "There wasn't a day in my life that I regretted leaving you behind."

She scoffed. "Save it for someone who actually cares. For some reason I just can not seem to believe that." She suddenly flung herself up from her previous position on the couch, taking a firm stand before her mother as she narrowed her eyes level with her. "Do you have any idea about all the shit that I have been through? I have seen things, done things, that a child should never have to experience in their life! And all you did was hide out here in the middle of fucking nowhere in your little remote cabin. How is that similar to having regrets about leaving me behind, about abandoning me with a monster?"