2 | 5 ~ Cat and mouse

"How could you just let her fucking die!?"

Scarlett kept a straight face as she stood in front of Cayden's desk while he paced up and down the length of his office.

"You were supposed to- I asked you to do- she actually- what the fuck, Scarlett!"

He stopped in front of her, placed both of his hands on her shoulders and started shaking them roughly. "Answer me!"

Throughout this whole act, Scarlett didn't say a word. Instead, she slowly braught up her own pair of hands up and placed them on his arms, stopping his aggressive actions from continuing before removing them from her shoulders.

"I did what I had to do, Cayden." Her voice was that of a robot's as she looked him straight in the eyes, not wavering at all.

"William was unconscious and she wasn't. I had to help him fi-"

"Don't you dare tell me that shit! Don't you dare even try giving me a reasonable explanation for your reckless decision, because I swear to Go-"

"I'm just a reckless decision to you?"

Both Scarlett and Cayden abruptly turned their heads in the direction of the newcomer and found William in the doorway, holding a tray stacked with drinks in his hands.

Cayden let go of Scarlett and cleared his throat. "You know I don't mean it like that, William. It's just-"

"- that you'd rather have me dead than your own sister. Nah, it's all good, Boss. Family comes first, I get it. But what I don't get is that I thought we were our very own family as well. I thought that our entire gang was family, blood related or not."

He then turned around and left the room without another word just as fast as he had appeared.

"Well, that just escalated from zero to 100 real quick."

Cayden glared at her and Scarlett raised her hands up in surrender.

"Look, I know how to fix this. Well, maybe not fix, but I can keep this situation from happening again. If you'd just let me check the alarm system at your house-"

"This again, Scarlett?"

Cayden ran a hand roughly through his already disheveled hair as he turned to look outside the floor to ceiling window. "What does my house's security system have to do with Ca- Caroline being dead?"

"That is... unfortunately, something that I can not really share with you right now, but I want you to just trust me on this, okay?"

"My sister is dea-"

"Cayden!" Scarlett gave him a pleading look, mentally asking him to just accept her request. She needed to finish this mission so that she can just leave and not cause any more trouble for his family or any of his gang members. "Please?"

Cayden gave her another hesitant look, contemplating what she was asking of him, before giving a slow nod in acceptance. Scarlett let out a breath of relief, her shoulders relaxing for the first time that day.

***

"Good evening, Abigail..." Scarlett gritted her teeth as his cocky voice slipped through the receiver, but kept her comments to herself as she was afraid of prying ears behind the doors on each side of the corridor. "I was starting to worry about you, my dear. Almost thought you forgot your place, again, and hadn't made any plans in the near future of finishing your mission. But then I remembered that you're THE Scarletstroke, my possession, meaning you still belong to me according to one teeny tiny contract we established a few years ago."