2 | 3 ~ A shot of tequila

Some of you (the smart ones) will notice that this is still chapter 23! NOT A NEW CHAPTER! That is because I changed the ending completely and I think that it's wayyy better now so if you've already read this chapter, just skip to the party scene and read from there, please.

+++

Scarlett knew that she was going to have to end things with Cayden and start focusing more on her mission.

Last night when she laid in his arms, he dared to whisper four little words, sweet words most women would love to hear, in her ear as they made love.

But not her. She was taught to thrive on her own, to be a killing machine. To not crave emotional entanglements like last night and have no consciences. To only do what she was told is best for the world.

Oh, she defenitely failed in THAT aspect of life, but it didn't mean that she didn't like it.

Scarlett shoved another spoonful of Otees in her mouth. She was not going to start falling head over heals for some idiotic gangleader. From now on, she had to start chalking up her emotions to the events that preceded his words. In the end, she would eventually leave for another mission and never come back. That is just how her life worked. No matter how many people she entangled herself with, she liked to live alone and thus she would also die alone. It was easier for everyone that way.

You are so beautiful...

Those four damn little words!

No, she was not going to grow a fondness towards him. He is a feared gang leader, for God's sake. To pretend that her wanting him was anything more than just lust would be ridiculous. Loving someone is for idiots and weaklings. Scarlett was neither.

She snapped out of her thoughts when she saw Dominique making her way to the fridge with an unnaturally huge smile plastered on her face.

"Nothing to bitch about this morning, Dominique?" Scarlett asked, her snappy mood getting the best of her as she straightening up in her seat as a second thought.

"No, I was going to give you an ugly look at first, but then I realised that you already have one," she replied back sweetly, still keeping up that stupid innocent act. She then turned her back on Scarlett in order to retrieve a juice box from the awaiting open fridge.

"That is really cute. I am glad to hear that you still care about my wellbeing. Seriously, how long did it take you to come up with that one?"

Dominique opened her mouth to reply, but got quite literally interrupted by a certain nerd.

"Uhh, guys..." William spoke up from Scarlett's right side where he has been eating his own breakfast silently this whole time, observing everything.

"What?" Both Scarlett and Dominique snapped at the same time, still not turning their attention away from the other person.

"I- umm... can you maybe not fight in front of my cute self? It's kinda ruining the adorable aura surrounding me."

Both of them finally turned their full attention to William as they gave him a matching look of disbelief. Making jokes at this time in the day was really not the best idea.

"My deepest apologies, William..." Scarlett did a mocking bow as you would to royalty. "It is just that Dominique tends to naturally bring happiness to a room. Sometimes even more so when she decides to leave."

She turned and glared pointedly at the said culprit.

"Oh please. I don't wake up every morning just to impress people, Scarlett. I'm well aware that I'm not everyone's cup of tea, mostly yours, but I would rather be a shot of tequila than be anything remotely related to you in the first place."