0 | 1 ~ preview (book 2)

*4 years later*

"You know, you're never going to get over her if you keep hiding in your office and drink yourself into oblivion?"

Caroline pushed herself away from the doorway as she entered her brother's office, carefully maneuvering around the countless amount of alcohol bottles sprawled out all over the floor.

The man of the hour, Cayden, groaned before lifting his head slightly from his desk in order to flick her off with direct eye contact. "Watch me."

She frowned, unintentionally balling up her fists from frustration and anger. She was frustrated with Cayden for stooping so low as to let a woman affect his day-to-day routine for so long, and angry at Scarlett for betraying the gang's trust and causing the former dilemma in the first place. She was just about starting to feel like family to them, but near the end she just fled without reason, not only breaking the gang's code but also their trust.

Well, she had no doubt that there was a definite reason as to why she fled in the first place, but that's where Cayden wouldn't talk. She finished up early at the dog pound with her weekly charity hours and wanted to ask her brother if it would be fine to take her girls for a night out clubbing.

When she entered her brother's very own mansion, however, almost everything around her was destroyed in what could only have been another one of his angering fits. This one just a lot more severe compared to his other ones.

She sighed, walking over to the water filter neatly placed in the corner of his office before filling a small polystyrene cup with ice cold water. She turned her attention back to him.

"The girls and I are going out clubbing tonight. I would've asked you for permission first, but you're coming with us."

He scoffed and Caroline smirked, wanting him to reply exactly like that,  because-

"What the fuck!?" Cayden abruptly springed from his chair, water seeping through his now very wet clothes. She could've sworn that was the most emotion he showed in months. It was bristling anger and annoyance, but at least it was something other than his usual sombre mood.

"Oh, I also forgot to mention that we usually go out shopping for new outfits beforehand. See you in five."

Cayden glared at his sister's retreating form, but didn't make a move to do anything about it. If he was going to have to suffer through this, he was definitely not going to be doing it alone. Pulling out his cellphone, he dialed up William's number.

***

"Tell me why I'm doing this again." Every shred of common sense in his body screamed for him to run in the opposite direction of Caroline and her latest zany scheme.

"Because you love me, and I always get my way." Her pretty eyes sparkled. "And because I love you, and I'm worried about you. I want you to have fun and kick up your feet for once."

"You don't have to worry about me. I'm fine," he replied, more to his own ears than hers. To hide the truth, he ducked his head and pretended to pluck imaginary lint from his shirt.

"Don't lie to me, bro. You've been moping around for years now over some dumb bitch. Don't think I haven't noticed." She steering him into the direction of yet another expensive clothing store. "I just want you to be happy... like me."

He groaned, the picture of his best friend fucking his sister not yet processing in his mind.

"Don't remind me, and I am hap-" an inadvertent grunt left his mouth as he ran into a small figure. Quickly reaching out, he grabbed the child's arms before it could make impact with the ground. A frown morphed on his face.