1 | 9 ~ Spongebob pyjamas

Omg! Omg! Omg!!! After 18 torturous chapters we finally reached 1k reads! Guys, I feel like... pooping candy! *starts crying* This is *sniffs* the best thing *sniffs* that's ever happened to me since... yesterday! Thank you all soooo much! As for your thank you gift, Imma try updating twice as fast!

+++

The next day Scarlett got up really early, around three am, to wake William up for another practise round. Seeing as all this training added some benefit to her, it wasn't that hard to stay prioritised towards their sessions. THAT and the constant nightmares that deprived her from her sleep also helped.

Scarlett never had nightmares before. She was trained not to do so, but ever since she took on this mission she changed in more ways than one. She did stuff she never would've done before, she felt stuff she never would've felt before and thought stuff she never would've thought before. No matter how hard she tried, she was changing and all this changing was starting to show, whether she liked it or not.

Scarlett was still dressed in her sleepwear when she tiptoed down the corridor towards William's room. From all the visits, she knew the path by heart, but Scarlett couldn't help it when she reached and unfamiliar door and had to stop for an observation.

It was closed, that much was obvious, but the funny thing is that the unoccupied rooms were never closed. Scarlett didn't know why he kept them open, something about Cayden not liking hidden secrets, but she never questioned his rules

Walking closer, she was about to open the door when movement from down the hall caught the corner of her eye.

James was making his way to her, in the disheveled state that he was, with the same careful movements she used before, trying not to wake the rest of the gang.

"What are you doing?" He harshly whispered to her in questioning as soon as he closed in on her personal space.

"What is behind this door?" She asked him instead, folding her arms over her chest and taking a step back as to prevent his familiar woodsy scent from invading her nostrils. It brought back too many bad memories for her to handle.

"What do you mean "what's behind this door"? Cayden told everyone that Dominique was staying with us until further notice, you didn't hear?"

"Clearly," she scoffed and James quickly shushed her. He looked around him, probably trying to see if anyone was spying on them or overhearing their conversation, before taking a firm hold on her arm and dragging her into the nearest room. She was about to fight his hold on her as soon as the door closed, but nothing prepared her for the next thing that happened as she could only let out a strangled sound.

Her mind was in a convoluted frenzy as she stood frozen within his embrace.

His arms engulfed her completely, pulling her closer to his chest as he placed his chin on on top of her head. Scarlett was shocked by the action and did nothing to resist it. What could she do? It's not every day your long lost brother, that you haven't seen for thirteen years, suddenly decides to show affection.

Scarlett felt something wet on her cheek and that was when she slammed back to reality. She quickly pushed him away and wiped the stray tear before James could see.

"Scar-" James protested in a week voice as he brought his hand up to her face, but Scarlett flinched, taking an automatic step back.

"Do not do that again, ever!"

James frowned at her words, finally respecting her wishes as he let his hand fall back limply to his side. His gaze drifted over her and a frown curved his mouth. "What did they do to you?" He whispered and Scarlett turned her back to him. She didn't want to believe the remorse and pain lacing his voice. He left her when they were mere infants and now he wanted to feel bad? It was his fault for making her life miserable, even more so than before he left.