3 | 2

The bright light reflecting on the leafs from nearby trees disappeared as the sun passed behind a cloud. It was brief, only a small glint of metal being spotted outside between all the natural scenery surrounding them, but that was all that Scarlett needed to see in order to realise what exactly it was.

And it was no Willy Wonka, but instead a very familiar looking sniper rifle.

"Holy shit." She just about managed to turn around and push Grace out of the way when a bullet firmly lodged itself in her shoulder.

With a string of curse words following soon after, she grabbed her mother's arm and practically dragged her to one side of the living room, making sure that she wasn't in eyesight of anyone else that might've decided to play peeping Tom through the cabin windows.

"You were followed!?" Grace all but hissed through gritted teeth as she inspected the wound on Scarlett's shoulder. Scarlett pulled out a dagger that was roughly shoved in her waistband earlier in haste.

"As an assassin yourself, I think you can speak from experience that being followed is not something we should be foreign with."

"Maybe so, but as an assassin you should also know to check your surroundings when going places for in case you are being- oh, I don't know... followed!"

"Can we not talk about this right now? If you have not yet noticed, someone is trying to kill us." She spat sarcastically, moving to find a more comfortable position that was both safe, and a good mark to aim from, if it got to that.

"Alright," Grace grumbled under her breath, moving slightly forward to reach for the coffee table. Scarlett's eyes widened.

"No, wai-" another shot was fired and Scarlett swore as it skimmed her cheek in the process of reaching for her mother. Rather roughly, she yanked her back against the wall, making sure that her frustration was known.

"How did you-"

"Paul... fucking sharpshooter." Scarlett closed her eyes and breathed in before looking back af her mother. "What were you even trying to do? Can you be any more reckless?"

"Paul?"

"Acquaintance." She muttered under her breath. "Hence the reason why we are not near any windows. Guy is a legend, can make a bullet swiftly dodge around a corner if he really wanted to. Christopher probably sent him to take care of a blight. Why he would be doing that? I have no idea."

"Can we back up for a second? Christopher?"

"Oh, geezus. Later."

Her mind rushed with thoughts as she suspected that Christopher had indeed sent his group of assassin's to finally kill her off, but then that wouldn't make any sense.

Why not kill her when they had the perfect chance with her tied up to a chair and vulnerable? Why make her escape so easy?

Scarlett shook the unanswered thoughts away, trying to expel the raw pain that was beginning to draw between her eyebrows. She abruptly stood up against the wall, making sure to stay well hidden from any point of view through nearby windows. She wouldn't want to make the same reckless mistake as her mother did only moments before. That would be hypocritical on her part.

Scarlett look down at the newest subject of her concern. "Stay here."

She didn't wait for a reply as she stealthily slipped into the hallway, planning on finding another route to create her own element of suprise for a long lost friend.

Ironically, it was oddly quiet in the cabin. The thick silence drifted all around her as her gaze scanned the unfamiliar surroundings.

Frames dotted the walls with various pictures of a once happy family obtaining its presence. She saw herself, or her past self as a carefree baby, in many of them and in some way, it reminded her of her own child that was yet to enter this cruel world. She placed a hand on her stomach and smiled.

If it weren't for the faintest of reflection in a nearby mirror, Scarlett was confident that would've been her final joyous memory.

She was fast, but so was he. She quickly swiveled around and flipped the blade in his hand with her own. Curtis paused for a moment, giving her a chance to recollect her jumbled thoughts, as though he wanted her to inspect the look of hatred on his face before they engaged in any form of battle, as though he wanted her to know exactly why he was doing this.

"How nice," she drawled. "The family finally decides to reunite. Enlighten me... will Dominique be standing outside, waiting, as soon as I open the front door? Or maybe even Christopher himself. Always knew the guy was a fucking coward."

His eyes narrowed and she didn't miss the way they darted to her stomach.

Scarlett sucked in a long breath, her confidence suddenly fading as she knew exactly what he was thinking in that moment. Before her shoulders even started falling, before she had time to doubt her conditioning, he had rushed her once again.

She dodged to the right, the blade in his hand, similar to hers, made another whooshing sound, all dark and chrome.

Something wet ran along her cheek and she tried to resit the overwhelming urge to flinch away as an intense burning followed. No doubt that "" would be playing fair tonight qs Scarlett was pretty sure the blade if his dagger, if not the entire weapon itself, was dunked in something.

She hissed before grabbing his forearm and pulling hard. Curtis recognized the signature move. His right arm now tucked under Scarlett's, he dropped the knife and used the momentum of the pull to turn her. His left arm became a rocket to her gut, knocking the wind out of her as she curled over, gasping for air.

Scarlett wanted to cry out in pain as the blow sent intense electric pulses along her lower abdomen, cutting off all feeling and movement. Her vision flashed red, possible thoughts of her baby sustaining any form of injury from the situation cleared away all logical thinking.

She looked up, ignored the stinging pain in her stomach, and lunged for him again, throwing her shoulder into his gut.

Payback is a bitch.

The two assassin's, once lovers, clashed with little sound. Soft grunts of punched and elbowed meat, the smothered sound of their clothing, and the constant, short breaths of their efforts in winning this, followed every hit.

Scarlett smirked with triumph as her momentum finally threw them into a nearby wall moments later.

She made sure he hit head-first before wrapping her free hand around his throat, desperate to end the fight on her behalf. Sweat slickened her grip, but she kept a strong hold even as his hands came up to encircle the base of her neck.

After what felt like an eternity, Curtis' grip began to falter as strength his left him from lack of proper oxygen levels.

"Think of it in this way," Scarlett stated flatley as they stared intense heat into eachothers' eyes. "I am rendering you unconscious, again, as opposed to other attacks because I want to turn a new leaf, but mark my words... if anything, and I mean anything, is wrong with my baby after it is born, I will personally hunt you down and be sure to show no remorse."

She watched with a look of mirth on her lips as her opponent's eyes finally closed and he gave way to darkness.

Her victory, however, was short-lived as a gunshot rang out from the living room.

Her whole body went cold.

+++