Dave Mustaine

Requested by and dedicated to inparadisecity

~ Must Stain Mustaine ~

This had been a bad idea.

Parties were not my thing. Anyone who knew anything about me could tell you that. And this was not just any party; it was a musician's party.

Don't get me wrong. I lived for music. But I only knew a few of the people in attendance; what if I couldn't even find one of them?

I wished I hadn't promised Vince I'd be there. I didn't even know where he was, and I really had no way of finding him. Luckily, I managed to spot a familiar mane of blond hair, and I decided to go and talk to my friend while I waited for Vince to come stumbling by.

"Hey, James!" I called, approaching him. "How is everything?"

"Ah, it's lame," he said, giving me a little shake of the hand. "Did you just get here?"

"Yeah, a second ago. You seen Vince?"

"Vince? Vince Neil?"

"Yeah, him."

"Nah, but I heard he's coming. He'll probably be here soon. Wanna wait for him with me?"

"Yeah, sure," I agreed, relieved to know Vince was on his way. Not that I didn't like spending time with James...

"Anyway, why are you here, (Y/N)? No offense or anything, I just don't see this as... your scene."

"It isn't," I said, laughing a little. "I promised Vince I'd come."

"Not the best choice in the world," he said, and I had to agree. "Well, like I said, you can just chill with me while you wait."

"Thanks," I said, "didn't know you of all people could be nice."

"Hey," he said in a defensive tone, but paused. "You have a point."

I laughed, then asked, "how's the band?"

"Uh... good. We're working on some new songs right now. I kind of feel bad... ya know... about Dave, but I really think it was for the best."

I'd met Dave a few times, but none of the meetings were very long. I didn't know that much about him, but he had seemed nice enough when we met. However, I wasn't at the heart of this situation, so I couldn't put in my actual opinion.

"I'm sure you did what you thought was right," was all I could say.

We talked for a bit, but eventually the stuffy party environment got to me.

"I'm going outside for a minute. I need air," I told James.

"Alright. Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, that's alright. I'll be right back."

He nodded and I made my way out, quickly finding the back door. I stumbled outside, greeted by a cool breeze gently lifting my hair away from my face. The sound of music blasting from the speakers rolled around the yard in waves.

I sat on a stone wall at the back of the yard, near a few trees. There was a group of people a few feet away, one of which seemed vaguely familiar. I couldn't really see him, though, because it was dark, so I gave up trying to recognize him.

However, it looked like I was going to have to try again, because he had said something to his friend and was now walking up to me.

"Hey, it's (Y/N), right?"

I was able to get a good look at him then. Yeah, I knew this guy. It was none other than Dave Mustaine.

"Yeah, and you're Dave, right?"