David Lee Roth

Requested by and dedicated to JamieVanHalen

~ That's Business ~

"And that's why we hired him," Alex said, tapping his drumstick against the carpet.

"That's not the only reason, right? How is he at singing?" I looked over at Eddie to see if he had any input.

He met my eyes and gave a little shrug, tilting his head from left to right.

"That's not an answer."

"He's good, (Y/N). Happy? He's a good singer. He just happens to come with the perk of a free P.A. system."

"Alright, I get it. So when do I get to meet him?"

"You really want to?"

"Yeah, why not? If he's going to be in your band, I think I should know him."

"Yeah, you're right. Well, later today, if you want. We're going to play for a while and see what happens."

"Alright. Well until then, show me the new stuff."

Both of them perked up. Eddie grabbed his guitar and settled it under his arm while Alex moved to sit behind the drums. They started playing something Eddie said they'd written the day before.

I sat up and watched as the pair made their magic. Damn, that was good. I could listen to them play all day.

And I almost did, but the time to leave came sooner than I thought it would. The brothers packed up their stuff (well, not really-- Eddie just angled his guitar down, but kept it on, and Alex just stuck his drumsticks in his back pocket) and gestured for me to go ahead.

I walked out the door with them close behind. We all piled into Eddie's car, and, despite him forgetting where the place was and Alex giving him the wrong directions the entire time, we made it to where they were supposed to meet at.

They got out of the car, neither showing a hint of an emotion. Eddie brought his guitar up and noodled a bit with his left hand as we walked into the building. I can't lie; I was a bit nervous about meeting who they had recruited for the band.

Alex led the way through the hallways of the building, which was some kind of studio. Eddie played a jazzy tune on his guitar as we walked.

"Right through here... Mark said they'd be here."

Alex walked in first, followed by Eddie (who was now doing rapid hammer-ons that shouldn't have been audible), and finally by me. Mark was there, as expected. And then there was this... stranger.

He looked nothing like I had expected. This guy obviously had character. I couldn't tell if it was good or bad yet, but it was definitely there. He seemed relaxed and confident; not what I would expect of someone who had just joined a band. Shouldn't he look nervous?

"Old friend, meet our new singer," Alex said, gesturing to the stranger. He was sure not to give either name, probably to make it so I had to introduce myself.

I moved forward and extended a hand. He shook it with a firm hold, a little grin playing about his lips.

"David Lee Roth. Nice to meet ya."

"(Y/N) (L/N). Pleasure."

I moved back, noticing that Eddie and Alex had already taken seats. Feeling awkward as the only person standing, I sat down next to Mark.

"Well, how is everyone?" Mark asked, looking around at all of us. "What's been going on?"

"Not a lot besides this," Eddie replied with a little laugh. Alex nodded in agreement, lightly clicking his drumsticks together. I accidentally met David's eye and, still feeling a bit awkward, quickly turned away. That probably made me look even worse.