Chapter 48 - You don't know what you're doing

I look at my dad and blink rapidly. He's staring the floor, his hands intertwined on his lap as he takes a deep breath.

The serious look on his face tells me that there's something extremely wrong and I don't think it's only the fact that I have a broken leg and more bruises than I can count.

"How are you?" He starts with his soft voice.

"I'm fine dad, I really am. You don't have to worry about these." I raise my hand and point to my leg and then my arm so he understands what I'm talking about.

"No, I don't mean about the injuries. I mean, how are you for real? In everything, school, your friends, your... boyfriend?''

Ok, now I get why he's acting so weird. This is what this conversation is about.

Noah.

It makes me instantly relax. There's nothing wrong after all, just a father concerned with his daughter, which to me is just... different, I guess.

All right, is not just different, it's freaking strange and it makes me a little mad, if I'm being honest.

He never cared about me until recently, as we all know, so the fact that he wants to discuss my relationship - which he knows nothing about - might be a step a little too big in our recent situation.

I'm not ready for that.

"Everything is perfect. Well, apart from this, it really is perfect." I say with a hint of annoyance. I give him a second before I ask what I actually want to ask. "Is this about Noah? I know I didn't tell you about him, but it's not like you and I are super clos--"

He doesn't let me finish.

"I'm just worried about you Emma, that's all. I mean, how well do you know this Noah?"

The way he says 'this Noah' makes me regret even talking to him again. I know I might be overreacting, but being defensive is what I've known my entire life, so is hard to ignore this part of me.

"I know him well enough, you don't have to worry. Noah is good for me." He frowns and looks at me as if contemplating something, while I look annoyed.

It's not just his attitude that is bothering me, it's also the fact that it's like everyone is walking on thin ice since I woke up, as if I'll break if they tell me whatever is going on inside their heads.

Noah was super weird, now my dad. Even Mads was looking at me in in a creepy way.

We stay in silence for a few moments, lost in our own thoughts, until he finally looks at me, but before he says anything, the words scape my mouth.

"He... he asked me to spend Christmas with him and I think I'll say yes."

I don't know why I said that. I don't feel the need to explain myself to him or ask for permission to do anything, but I guess I want him to realize how serious this is. Noah and I are very serious.

My dad's face turns pale and his eyes go wide as soon he hears the words.

"Christmas? You're going to his house for the holidays? I thought you were going home."

"Yeah, I know, but—"

"No buts Emma. This is crazy. You barely know him. You don't know who he is."

"What is that supposed to mean?" He sighs but doesn't say anything. "Look, I know we're different now, but I don't think you're in a position to push it. If I want to go with Noah, I will go with him, regardless of what you think. I lived my entire life without you, so don't think I can't do that again."