18.

Megan

I can see why they don't invite me out. It looks as if all my staff are dating each other! They tried to hide it but the more they drank the harder it became. That and they left together to go home. I wanted to bring them in and discipline them but truth be told... I couldn't afford to fire them, they were great at their job and if they were dating each other it meant that they wasn't dating Reggie and that... I could live with.

The only problem was, Reggie head was so far up April's ass he didn't even pay me an ounce of attention! I even made sure to wear a revealing dress and not once did he even look at me let alone double glance. But the minute April arrived he was like a lost puppy. I decided to go and investigate.

I called Duncan into my office.

"Yes boss lady."

"Have a seat Duncan."

"Uh oh. This don't sound good."

"Oh it's better than good, it's great. How do you fancy a pay rise?"

"A pay rise?"

"Yeah! You definitely deserve it. You do your job so well. Since giving you this position your salary hasn't increased and I think it's time."

Duncan was smiling from ear to ear!

"Wow. Thanks boss lady! Really appreciate it!"

"No worries. I'll write up a new contract for you then you can sign it. Will get it all ready for the following payday."

"Sweet!" He said as he headed for the door.

"Oh Duncan one more thing..."

"What's that?"

"It's gross misconduct for members of this team to be dating each other. I hope that you and the rest of the team are sticking to that and if they aren't I'd expect to know about it."

Duncan laughed.

"I knew this was too good to be true. Look, I ain't sleeping with no one and from I'm not fucking no one here I wouldn't know what other people are getting up to."

"I know you guys talk..."

"Look, I've got to get back to work. When that contract is written up, let me know." He said before walking out.

"Dammit!" I said as I banged my fist on my desk.

I got up and headed straight for Reggie's office.

"Hey, you busy?"

"Got a job in ten minutes why what's up?"

"Oh nothing.. just been thinking about the night out the other day. Was fun. Did you know that other members were dating each other?"

"I plead the 5th"

I laughed.

"No it's fine, I'm not going to say anything. Just puts my mind at ease to know if they are fucking each other it means they ain't fucking you. However... it seems like your interest is elsewhere. April..."

"Megan... I ain't doing this with you. I don't need to explain nothing to you."

"You like her don't you?"

"No."

"Liar! I can see it in your face, the way you look at her! Plus you took her home Friday night!"

"Because she was drunk! I was being a good person! I don't know why you're so obsessed but stop! There's nothing going on between April and I. Not that's it's any of your business! Matter of fact there's nothing going on with me and any female in this office... INCLUDING YOU! Now excuse me, I've got jobs to do." He said before leaving his office.

I waited for him to leave before going to April's office. I was going to get to the bottom of it!

"Hey, you busy?"

"Not really, just responding to emails."

"So... Friday, was a great night right?!"

"From what I can remember, I'm so embarrassed I got drunk but I truly needed that night out."

"You wasn't bad. Didn't do anything other than let your hair down. Listen... can we have a chat? Off the record. Just between us?"

"Erm... okay..."

"Well... I guess I now realise why you lot don't want me coming out with you guys. I can see that some of you are an item!"

"Huh? Really? Are you sure? That would be against company policy!"

"April... I said off the record. Talk to me as if I'm one of the gang. Not your boss."

"Well that's very hard."

I sighed.

"Okay. I'm your boss but there's no consequences to this conversation. Truth be told... I feel left out. I... I erm... I don't have friends. In building up this place I didn't make time for them nor did I want to. I was happy with my business and my husband. Now? Now I have no husband and a business that don't really need me like in the beginning. So I guess I'm just trying to.. I don't know, feel belonged."

"I see. Well, it's not always good to mix the two. Familiarity breeds disrespect."

"True. I dunno, I guess I just wanted to be involved in the girly gossip." I said in jest.

April smiled.

"Well, there's no girly gossip. Not from me anyway. As much as I'm around these lot I wouldn't know who is dating/if they are dating; as I've never asked and they've never told me."

"Right. Okay what about you?"

"Me?"

"Yeahhh, I can see Reggie has taken a shining to you."

"He has?"

"Oh yeah. You didn't know?"

"Didn't really care if I'm honest. Reggie is not my type. Besides I'm here to work."

"Not your type? I thought Reggie was every girls type?!"

"Well that's where you're wrong. One - I'm not every girl. Two - I don't date black men." April said.

I gasped.

A black woman not dating a black man???

"I see. I guess you're right then. You're not every girl."

April smiled.

"Right! This was fun. Feel like I know just that bit more about you! Anyway I've got to go. I'll be out for the rest of the day. Meetings coming out my ears. So anyone calls tell them leave a message or drop me an email. You or Reggie can lock up for me yeah?"

"Yup. Will do. Enjoy your meetings." She said in jest knowing how much I hate meetings.

I chuckled then left. On my way to my meeting I thought about how silly I've been. I needed to find a way to make it up to Reggie. I wasn't going to stop until Reggie realised I was all the woman he needed!!

********************