18

Rukayya's P. O. V

I walk into the office with ummita as we held our milkshakes. "This hot weather no be joke fah." I say showng my ID card to the security.

"I swear, hey. I saw your mom yesterday, she was so nice and her shoes. Something was telling me to steal it and run away." She says with a chuckle.

"Yeah, I had my eyes for that shoe a for a long time but she is refusing to give it up." I say smiling. "I don't blame her."

I sat on my chair, placing my cup on the table. "I will have to order more of this, you up." I ask and she nods when we heard a man shouting from mohammad's office.

"You have nothing but stupidity running through your veins! You are not even planning to get married! What is wrong with you."  A man said as we sat listening,  making eye contact.

I think it is his father, I heard about him but never saw him. "So? Do you have a woman now? Tell me. Forget about it and give me mallam isah's blueprint". He added when ummita gasped.

I looked at her to know why she gasped. "What?" I ask. "It is with you." She says as I slowly looked at the cylinder. I felth my heart skip multiple beats but I just looked down with a deep breath.

"How are you going to do it?" She asks. "Um, Rukayya. Please bring me the blueprint." Mohammad said through a phone kept on my table.

"Okay." I say before I hung up. "I'm sorry." Ummita says. "I'll live." I say standing up. I knock praying that he will come out to take it by himself. "Come in." His father says as I walked in.

Muhammad partially sat on his desk while his father sat on the chair. "Good morning sir." I say to his father before I handed it to mohammad.

"Are you done?" He asks me while looking at it. "Yeah, I mean yes." I say and he smiled. "Sorry for the noise." He says looking at his father. "No problem, we didn't even hear anything." I say feeling nervous.

"Okay, I will go through it." He says and I nod. "Thank you." He says as I turn to leave. "Aren't you Mrs Hadiza Abdallah's daughter?" His father asks. "Yes, sir." I reply.

"And I thought I heard that you two had a relationship." He asks while I felt embarrassed. How did the old man know? "Baba, this is not necessary. Go, rukayya." He says but I couldn't. 

"Yes but we are just friends." I say turning about to leave. "Are you sure you were just friends?" His father asks with a smile plastered across his face.

"Baba, you know she is my assistant right? Stop it." Mohammad says with a stern face. "Excuse me." I say ignoring his question. "Sorry for that." Mohammad says. "Why are you apologising?" His father asks but I ignore it.

I got out of the office feeling thankful that I don't have a father like that. "How did it go?" Ummi asks. "You can call it an interrogation." I say sitting down swinging my chair.

She laughs at my sentence. "What did he ask you exactly?" She asks. "He asked if I was my mother's daughter? He said that he heard that we had a relationship and after I said we were friends, he asked if I was sure? Ugh!". I say in a low tone.

Ummi was laughing when he came out. I kept on typing what I was writing and Ummi kept quiet. "Um, rukayya. Come let's talk?"

We walked outside the space. "Um, please pardon my son and take him back. He doesn't know what he is doing. He thinks mourning over and over will make him feel better about his mom?"

He says gaining my attention. "That wouldn't bring her back and I will not blame you for leaving him but please just pity him, okay?" He says looking at me.

"Well, sir. I think your son knows what he's doing after building his own company from the ground to where it is, he is very capable and knows he's employees. About him mourning his mom is normal because that is how I mourn over my father."

I say not looking at him. "It does make a person feel way better and he doesn't really need my pity because I am with your son already." I say not thinking till I was done.

"Really? That's great. I didn't know about that at all and I am sorry about your father's death. Good luck." He says then left.

I stood there regretting what I said about us being together. Seriously? What was going through your head? I walk back to my table thinking over what I said.

"Rukayya,  please come in." Mohammad said and without any thoughts I went in. He was just sitting down on the couch using his phone. "About my father, he is who he is." He says with an embarrassing smile.

"I am embarrassed. He does that to me unnecessarily." He says standing up. "No problem." I say now finding it difficult to tell him.

"I have to tell you something I did." I say with a sigh. "I told your father that we are together." I say closing my eyes. "Why?" He asks furrrowing his eyebrows.

"He just kept on saying stuff." I say trying to dodge what he told me. "How....what did he tell you?" He asks crossing his arms.

"Nothing of value." I say shaking my head. "Rukayya." He says with a firm voice as I look at him. "He said that I should pity you and take you back."

I say and he nods. "And?" He asks. "There's nothing more, that's it." I lie. "I know you well enough to know if you're lying and I know my father speaks too much to say small amount of words."

He says sighing. "He said that you mourn over and over will make you feel batter or bring her back." I say but he only scoffed.
Note, whenever you give someone this kind of news and they only scoff or not react. They are extremely hurt.

I walk towards him while he shook his head. "I'm not surprised." He says as I sat down beside him. "I'm sorry." I say holding his hand. "How are you going to tell imran? "

He asks me and I sigh looking up. "Do I have to?" I ask smiling. "Fine." He says smiling weakly. "II am sorry about your father and stuff." I say as he shakes his head.

"Don't be. I'm not surprised just disappointed and he never ceases to amaze me when it comes to that." He says standing up. "Now do you agree to lose a father than to have that?"

He asks. "Yeah." I admit. "Tell me about it so now let's get back to work." He says obviously trying to shake off the feelings. "Okay."

Don't forget to
Vote
Follow
Comment