Three

'So, did you and Mason...you know?' Abbie asked me, as we sat together on the grassy bank overlooking the tennis courts behind the school building.

'Obviously not or I would have called you the second it ended,' I sighed. 'He says it'll happen when the time is right and I guess I agree with him. I want it to be memorable because it's with the guy I love and want to spend my life with.'

'Want to spend your life with?' Abbie questioned. 'You're sixteen and you guys have been together a year.'

'So?' I turned to her with a scowl and studied her twisted face. 'He wants the same thing.'

'You're so young,' she said. 'Why would you want to only be with Mason for the rest of your life? Plus, you're going to go to university and both meet new people and discover new things about yourself.'

'You're pissing me off FYI,' I said, frowning into the distance.

'Sorry,' she said. 'I don't mean to be so negative. You know I love you guys together.'

'Geez, you do?' I replied, sarcastically. 'Maybe it's time for you to find a boyfriend.'

'No, thank you,' she chuckled. 'They only bring drama and distraction into your life. I want to focus on school without anyone messing things up for me. I'll date once I finally become a doctor.'

'So you're going to stay a virgin until you get through medical school?' I asked, with a snort of laughter. 'Come on, Abbie!'

'I didn't say that,' she said. 'I'll be going to university so I'm sure I'll lose it then. I just don't want a boyfriend in high school.'

'I respect that, Ab,' I said, with a slow nod. 'You know what you want and you have it all planned. It's great actually. I wish I had my future planned.'

'There's nothing stopping you from setting goals and making sure you achieve them,' she said, as she shrugged. 'What do you want to do as a career?'

'I don't know,' I replied.

'Well, what do you want to study at university?' she asked.

'Not sure,' I sighed.

'Are there any subjects that you actually enjoy?' she asked.

'Hmm, well, I do like gym,' I replied. 'But that's only because I love trying to knock Cassie out during dodgeball or slide tackling her in football.'

I let out a loud snigger as I remembered all of the detentions I'd had from the shit I'd given that girl in return for all the shit she'd given me in the showers about my lack of boobs.

'Serious!' Abbie exclaimed. 'Think about it. What do you enjoy?'

'I don't know, Ab,' I sighed. 'I mean...I don't really enjoy any classes to be honest.'

'Okay,' Abbie said, slowly. 'Let's think about your hobbies. You love playing around with different hair colours and styles; maybe a hair stylist?'

'Ugh, no thanks,' I laughed. 'I shove a box dye on my hair every now and then. It doesn't mean I love it. Half the time I don't know what I'm doing and just hope it turns out okay.'

'Well, what about that damn camera of yours?' she asked. 'You like taking pictures.'

She was right, my Nikon was my most cherished possession. Growing up and never having anything or ever really receiving gifts from people, I valued my camera greatly. When Christine and Stan had bought it for me for my birthday, it was the first time I had ever hugged my adoptive parents and said thank you to them. Ever since, I'd take the opportunity to get away and spend some time alone just looking for a beautiful scene to capture. I loved going out at sunset and capturing it and sometimes on a weekend I would head out alone and observe people walking across the street or chatting with a friend through a restaurant window and take a snap of them. I loved studying the images and seeing the natural expressions on people's faces as they were laughing or talking or listening and completely clueless to the fact they were being captured. They were beautiful moments in my eyes.