Sixteen

'Amelia, what's wrong?' Abbie asked, as she jumped up from the seat upon seeing me storming back over to her.

'Forget anything nice that I said about Ryker,' I spat, crossing my arms and scowling as I stopped in front of her. 'I take back what I said about not hating him.'

'What happened?' she asked, handing me back my refilled drink cup.

'I caught him getting off with some girl in one of the rooms,' I told her. 'I apologised and somehow it ended up in a conversation with him being rude and a dickhead and telling me we'd never be friends.'

'Wow, well, can't say I'm surprised,' Abbie sighed.

'Ugh, I feel like such an idiot,' I groaned.

'Well, on the plus side, you still have time to fix things with Mason,' Abbie suggested, pointing to where Mason was stood with some friends, frequently glancing over in our direction.

'I'd rather just get drunk and not talk to any males in here for the rest of the night,' I said, sulking.

'Oh, he's coming over,' Abbie mumbled, quickly shifting awkwardly.

'Oh for fuck's sake,' I sighed, turning to see Mason stop beside me. 'What do you want?'

'Okay,' Mason said, frowning. 'Yeah, I can tell you're not in the best mood right now so maybe I'll just leave you be.'

'That would be the best idea, Mason,' I replied, harshly.

'God, I really don't know what's gotten into you,' Mason sighed.

'You fucked everything up,' I told him. 'You showed me you don't have my back so don't even think about turning it around on me.'

'I'm not turning it around,' Mason said. 'I think you're just taking this a little overboard.'

'Do you know that Ryker made some big speech about me being some spoiled little brat that thinks I've had life so hard because I don't get my own way and all of this other shit about me that he had no fucking idea about?' I asked him. 'Yeah, he apologised once I told him the truth but you...you didn't even wait to hear the full story before jumping to his defence.'

'Well, I didn't know he'd started talking about your personal life, did I?' Mason sighed. 'So...you opened up to him and told him what you went through?'

'Yeah,' I replied, sighing with vexation.

'You don't even open up to me about that stuff,' he said.

I opened my mouth to speak, not finding any words to respond with as I realised it was true. I had told Ryker what kind of people my birth parents had been and that was information even Mason didn't know.

'You should have told me that he had said all of that stuff to you and I wouldn't have taken his side,' Mason continued.

'My exact point!' I cried. 'You didn't even ask! You didn't even ask your friend what he had said to upset me so much; you were more concerned about me upsetting him.'

'I asked him what he'd said and he didn't want to tell me,' Mason said. 'He said it wasn't a big deal; I didn't know it was like that!'

'Well, he didn't want to tell you because it was a shitty thing to say,' I replied. 'He said it wasn't a big deal because he's a fucking liar but you're gullible as fuck and buy his shit everytime.'

'I'm sorry,' Mason said.

'Sure you are,' I sighed.

'What more can I say?' Mason asked. 'I fucked up.'