Fourty Six

As Ryker and I sat down at the small, round table in the cafeteria, ignoring all eyes on us as we remained hand in hand, Abbie kept her head down and focused on her sandwich, immediately inviting an awkward tension between the three of us. I took in a slow breath as I knew I had to be the one to break the ice with me being the one in the middle of them both but I was willing to do anything to have two of the people I cared for most in the world get along with each other.

'So,' I said, cheerfully. 'I think we all ought to have a little talk.'

'Oh Jesus fucking Christ,' Ryker groaned, rubbing his face with his palm.

'Ryker,' I sighed.

'Look, let me just jump right in and say what I need to say,' Ryker said, leaning forward towards Abbie as she looked up. 'Abbie, I'm sorry, alright? I actually do really mean that because...well, you're Amelia's best friend, more like a sister to her really so...I really want you to...'

We both watched him closely as he shook his head and pressed his lips together as if saying the words out loud was torturous.

'You want me to what?' Abbie asked him.

'God, this is so cringe,' he mumbled.

'Go on, Ryker,' I told him.

'I really want you to like me,' he said, looking back to her. 'You're a good person and...I really respect your loyalty to Amelia and I understand why you might struggle to like me but I mean it when I say it, I'll never ever hurt her again.'

'Ryker,' Abbie sighed.

'No, please,' Ryker interjected. 'I know it seems all talk, I know I've done some really bad things but I just need one final chance.'

'Listen,' Abbie said, softly, tilting her head as she looked at him seriously. 'It's easy for you to ask that of me and I can see how desperately you want me to say yes.'

'I also understand that it's not easy for you to simply say yes,' Ryker replied.

'That's right,' Abbie said. 'Because honestly, Ryker, the things I have witnessed are things I don't think I'll ever forget.'

'What do you mean?' Ryker asked.

'Abbie,' I mumbled, knowing she was about to give him a few home truths I didn't exactly want him to know about. I didn't feel like punishing him any further was necessary.

'No, it's okay,' Ryker said, resting a palm on my arm. 'I want to hear it. If I want Abbie to give me a chance, I need to know what's on her mind.'

'You have no idea what your actions caused,' Abbie told him.

'I know I hurt her badly,' he said.

'Ryker, I know Amelia so well and I know what makes her happy, makes her angry, makes her stressed,' Abbie said. 'I've seen her in the very worst states and I'll be completely honest with you, nothing I have ever seen has been worse than what I saw when you did what you did.'

'Abbie, come on,' I said.

Ryker stayed silent as his eyes remained locked on her and she did not acknowledge my words as she continued to stare back at him.

'I'm used to Amelia's outbursts,' Abbie continued. 'I'm used to the tantrums, the tears, the hurtful words she can throw at you when she's mad, the insecurity she can feel when she looks at herself in the mirror and has a breakdown. I'm also used to the panic attacks and know exactly what to do in those situations when she goes through it.'

All that I felt Abbie was doing was possibly making Ryker think he had a complete handful ahead of him with all of her negative revelations about me. I bit down on my lip as I looked at Ryker, still unable to read his expression.